Reading OLD books for free @ archive.org

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hi, my name is framing fowl and I am an old book addict. But budgetary constraints prohibit me from indulging as much as I would like.

I think this may have been mentioned here before but you can go to www.archive.org and search for books and read them on-line. It's not quite the same as holding the book in your hand and looking at the typeset and smelling that old book smell and hearing the pages rustle as you turn them, but it is a fun way of getting information.

So, today I am perusing A la Rector by George Rector, A Thousand Ways to Please a Husband with Bettina's Best Recipes and Farm Economy.

There is so much fun stuff: old poultry booklets, old farm manuals, crop and gardening information, old building plans, information on how to run a household from the late 1700's, basically anything and everything on how they did things way back when. Overwhelming really.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That is SO cool!!! i'll have to check that out. Be back in a few weeks :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've read a few things on there in the past, but thanks for reminding me--I could get lost on there if I had enough time!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Abi, at the archive.org they have project gutenberg as well as many other projects all under one roof! I did get lost in there yesterday and I haven't even started in the audio and video collections!

They have a bunch of old music copied over from the early 20th century as well as old radio shows.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My eReader came loaded with tons of old books that are no longer subject to copyright. I just read Black Beauty again (haven't read that since I was a pre-teen). It's still a darn good book! :D