Ready to make ACV- questions....

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a bag of nice organic apples, that my brother picked for me on a resent hunting trip. The recipe that I have says: that you put apple scraps and cores in a jar and cover with water. Put cheesecloth over the top and in a month you will have ACV... Really?? Is that all there is to it? Finding this a little hard to believe.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'be tried to make ACV twice now. The first time I juiced my apples there was quite a bit of pulp left in the jar and before it turned to vinegar I had mold growing on top. The second time I strained the juice better and I didn't have any problems with mold. I honestly don't know if the pulp was the problem or not but that was just my experience.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember reading that a lot of times its better to strain the solids out. I only tried apples ONE time, got a little worried and put in some other ACV to give it a jump start. But there are others on the forum that have used apple solids and had good luck. :hu

I pretty much just use the organic apple juice from the grocery store when I'm going to make more, and add some of the vinegar to get it going. I did have one batch that grew mold, so now I add a bit more vinegar.

I cover mine with a coffee filter and a rubber band. Seems to work pretty good.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow I am suprised that's all there is to it too. as long as I have bee on this forum, and used ACV, I have never made any. I wonder if you can make them from crabapples?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Wow I am suprised that's all there is to it too. as long as I have bee on this forum, and used ACV, I have never made any. I wonder if you can make them from crabapples?
You can make vinegar from any fruit, so you could. I'm guessing that you'd end up with some really tart, possibly on the bitter side, vinegar. But a blend of crab apples with sweeter apples could give you an interesting vinegar!

One of these days, I'm going to try baby vinegar made with lemons.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It takes longer but if you allow yeast to convert the sugar to ethanol before adding your mother or other bacteria starter you are less likely to have mold because the ethanol retards growth until it is converted to vinegar acid and the acid retards until it is finished. Also the two different fermentations like different gases, Carbon Dioxide is produced by the yeast but the bacteria that convert alcohol to vinegar need oxygen. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air so it tends to form a blanket to keep the oxygen away.~gd