Ready to send the rabbits to freezer camp

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have NEVER killed or dressed an animal (well I had some kittens in dresses when I was a kid). I don't know how to kill, gut, or skin a rabbit. So here's my list of questions.... :D....

What is the easiest way to kill them? I'm not sure I can knock them over the head. I'm not really sure if I can dislocate their neck....this is gonna be harder than I thought.
How do I skin it? What do I do to the hide to cure it? Any rabbit recipies?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I used to get my son to help me with the dispatching. oNe person grabs thehead (around the neck ) securely and the other grabs the back legs. and pull. do it quick. make sure youdo it quick. If you did not withhold food lthe night before, press on their bellies to empty them. Place rabbit on table. Grab fur around th shoulder blades. Insert very sharp knife (fillet knife works well) in the furso that it comes out he other side. make a nice slcie in the fur, then grab both ends and pull. the skin will peeloff like a jacket. When you get the fur to the feet, carefully separate the joint with the knife. Can;t help you with tanning, I never did do that. good luck!

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
check out some youtube videos for dressing rabbits,,there are some really good ones on there,at least used to be.