Real Estate Midadventures (NOT just about $$$)

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Right now, we live in town. We thought, when we bought this place, that we'd sell it when the time came to move to the country. Now, with the market the way it is, we are planning on keeping it as a rental. The more we've pondered this, the more of blessing in disguise it seems. DH works at the local university, which means that we all (two adults, three kids) get free tuition there, but NOT room and board. DSS is 13.5 years old, so he will be starting college before we know it. This house is close to the MarqTran (public transit bus) stop, and anyone with a uni ID can ride for free. The payment on this house is $175/mo, and living on campus costs $1000/mo. Even though the house also needs utilities, taxes, insurance, maintenance, and groceries, it fits 5-6 people, so DSS could get some roommates. And at the end of paying $1000/mo for four years, we'd have nuthin', compared to the end of four years of DSS living in this house, we'd still have a house! The mortgage on this place is $35,000. $1000/mo x 9 months x 3 kids = $27,000, or darn close to paying off this house. When we bought this place, we were new to the area, and we did not realize that we have both the highest property tax millage in the county and the highest utility rates in the state. (Well, the water and electricity rates are the highest in the state. Natural gas is average.) If we rent this place out, we can at least write the property taxes and utility costs off on our end of year taxes. We've had SIL (an accountant) crunch the numbers for us, and she's in favor of the idea, and she is a very financially conservative person. So we think it's really for the best to keep as a rental/college housing for our kids.

Our overall plan is move, achieve an SS homestead, pay off both places, and when the time comes to retire, be able to live very cheaply because we will have minimized food/energy/housing expenses, and hopefully be able to live off the rent we collect on this house. DH has a retirement account through work, but we think of that as gravy. Also, I think it's pertinent to note that we are relatively young, 32 and 33. I also hope to get my second Bachelor's in nursing starting in 2012. This should only take me a couple of years. Eventually, I'd like to become a nurse practitioner. Once I start working, we'd like for DH to go a 9 month position at work, and just farm during his summers off. Our projected income with us both working part-time (assuming me working at RN wages, not NP wages) will be $50-$60K/yr. Nurses are in high demand here; there is a large elderly population, so many nursing homes, home health companies, and hospices are located nearby, in addition to doctors and hospitals. I doubt that finding a nursing job will be a problem.

DH has good job security, and is about 5 years into a 30 year career there, so we are tied to the area within commutable distance of campus. We are looking primarily on the other side of the city, compared to where we are now- east of the city is home to good farmland, versus around here is mountainous and rugged and home to the mines. When we first moved here, we thought we were priced out of East of City forever- in this way, this market has been a boon to us, because we can afford it now. According to all the mortgage regulations, we can afford about $800/mo in mortgage payments, so we have been able to get our prequal letter without any trouble since our current mortgage is so low.

Central to our homestead idea is livestock. We want a bunch of critters- my number one priority is a milk cow, DH's number one is a couple pigs per year, we both really want chickens and bees. We both would also like ducks/fish in a pond if possible. We are open to goats and/or sheep. Our two younger kids are both horse obsessed, and our older boy enjoys a good ramble, too. I would rather farm with horses than tractors if push comes to shove (truly, I'm a apocolyptotarian in more ways than one :p), but would very much like to be able to eat least a couple of ponies for our children. Because we want so many animals, I really want a place with room to grow their food. We also want a giant vegetable garden and an orchard, nut trees, and, eventually, an outdoor summer/canning kitchen and a root cellar that is unattached to the house.

We have looked extensively at three different places, all with various advantages and disadvantages, and we are kind of paralyzed by the decision making process at this point. Money is a factor, of course, a huge one, but not the only one. We are looking for someplace that will be the most cost effective in the long run, and where we can achieve some dreams and goals. I think House A would actually be cheaper in the long run, when you factor in utilities and transportation, but I don't know if it's worth paying a bunch more upfront and dealing with the nutty seller.

Please, help me make sense of all this.

House A: asking price is $82,000 (so payments ~$400/mo), $800/yr taxes, $600/yr insurance. The seller is bonkers. We offered her $82,000, and she counter offered $86,000. I think it's because she has a renter in the house, so her payments are getting made and she doesn't want to deal with evicting him. This is a guess, though. I'm not begging anyone to sell me her house in this market, and her agent was pretty flabbergasted at her counteroffer. We are waiting until the spring anyway (DH is recovering from a hip replacement right now), and the renter's lease is up in March, so right now we are just waiting, and may make another offer if/when her renter moves out.

-24 acres
-2 car unattached garage
-hayfields
-woodlot
-new HE woodstove
-mature apple trees
-new insulation and propane furnace
-needs windows, and soon, a roof
-3 tiny bedrooms, one bath, cellar rather than basement
-1200 sf, so quite small
-cottage style, exterior is cu-uuute!
-gigantic barn that is totally falling apart- a liability rather than an asset
-1.5 miles from MarqTran stop (can ride into city for free, so we could survive with a single car, at least from time to time)
-19 miles from campus
-electricity is 8c per kWH (but eventually we'd like to be fully off the grid)

House B: asking $60,000, so payments about ~$300/mo, $800/yr taxes, $500/yr insurance. House has been for sale for ages. Sellers are retired and moved and want to unload it.
-3 acres
-2 car attached garage
-old woodburning furnace in the basement, needs to be replaced but all the infrastructure is there (we'd have to buy wood to burn, though)
-we'd have to buy hay, but there are many nearby farms so it would be available and reasonably priced (we have friends out there, about a mile away, and they have 40 acres of hayfield)
-4 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, modern, full walkout basement
-needs a roof and a repair to the garage foundation
-2500 sf plus basement, so quite large
-Brady Bunch era split level, so not cute
-metal barn in decent shape, an asset rather than a liability
-27 miles from campus
-8 miles from bus stop/park 'n ride (we'd be fully dependent on 2 cars all the time)
-electricity is 20c per kWh (but eventually we'd like to be fully off the grid)

Property: asking $16,000 for 8 acres. FSBO, sellers seem quite sane. There is a well, septic, and 8c/kWh electricity at the property right now. Financing this would be trickier- vacant land loans suck, so we'd end up getting a personal property loan. And this would take a lot longer, we'd have to pay the land off and then build or place a prefab, not to mention a barn and hopefully, eventually, a garage. I am sketchy on this- building codes here are ridiculous and all over the place, which is why we started looking at existing houses rather than property. It's near House A, so about a mile from the bus stop.

All three places are in the same school district, all three on propane.

Feedback, please! Any and all welcomed!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm sorry I had to skim through what you wrote, as I am short on time, but I honestly feel that when you move, you need to feel excited about the place you want to move to . . . do you feel that way about any one in particular (I'm guessing choice A)? The only other thing I will say is that I, personally, would always have a preference for the higher acreage as long as the land has a nice layout to it.

OK, I will also say that we looked into land for a long time before we decided it would be much better to get less land with existing infrastructure, because it would cost a lot more to put new infrastructure on vacant land that it would to "buy" existing infrastructure (in particular we liked that the property we found had a perimeter fence, even though it needed a little work).

I'm not sure if that helps. :/

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would be hoping the crazy lady (choice A) comes to her senses! 24 acres would be wonderful and the house sounds great. Three acres really isn't a lot-especially with dreams of large livestock. Of course, many people have less land then that- but I think with your homesteading dreams you would outgrow that real fast. Just land is a problem if you have to pay to have something built...
I vote Choice A, or keep looking.....
Keeping your place as a rental is a great idea!! I love having our rental property. As a matter of fact, my tenant just walked in and handed me 850.00! Like taking candy from a baby! Being near a college is a big plus!
Thanks for sharing your dreams- hope it all goes well. Still dreaming of my "someday" farm!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd offer 80k on house A in March and be done with it if crazy lady doesn't take it, but I have low tolerance for nuts :hu Beyond that the second house seems like a nice place from what you've listed. I don't know that I'd do the land deal with what you have divulged about building codes...nothing worse than persnickety building inspectors mid stream IMO.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, the seller of House A is really all over the place. It went up for sale last May at $94,000, quickly got reduced to $82,000. I did a little digging, and found out that she bought in 2007 for $85,000. Based on my calculations, she is cutting it really close at $82,000- after she pays her realtor's commission, she is within a few hundred dollars of being able to pay the mortgage off. I doubt she has any cash to bring to the table- she's under 30, a divorced mother of two who just graduated college, got a job and moved. I very much doubt she has any money. She lowered the price on the house *after* she got a job and moved one state over. I think she had a knee-jerk reaction and panicked. A month after she moved, she rented the house out. She hasn't missed any payments, so no bank is going to agree to a short sale. Now that her payments are being made by the renter, I suspect that she is a lot more comfortable with her situation. The agent told me that she thinks that the seller isn't really emotionally ready to sell the house, especially since the seller just got remarried and got pregnant right away. I understand this to a large extent. I was bay-at-the-moon crazy when I was pregnant. It's obvious that the renter is really comfy there, too- he's got 4 wheelers and boats and snowmobiles and stuff all over the property, LOL.

I do like the place, but this is a whole bunch to take on, and I am not going to massage anyone's ego to sell me her house, and I'm not going to offer *more* than asking price! If she can't be bothered to raise the price listing on MLS then I don't think she's serious. We offered her asking and she turned us down! Which is what makes me think that maybe it's time to just move on.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah leta, that is unfortunate though...it really sounds like a nice place. :/ You'll find whats right for you though, just hang in there :)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When we bought our place 5 years ago, we settled for less acers and a smaller sturdy house. My youngest of 4 girls was 10 at the time, and we knew we wernt going to move again! So why would we want the 2 story with 5 bedrooms when in 8 to 10 years chances were it was going to be just hubby and I. I still wish we had more than our 5 acers! And we buy hay year-round.

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can commiserate with your frustrations, as I am also property/house/homestead hunting. An added challenge for me is hunting in an area 600 miles away - we'll be heading down to the NE FL pineywoods after the army finally turns hubby loose. I'm hoping to find and buy the property before he starts ETSing so we can change our home-of-record and have the army chip in on moving expenses.

Chefmom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are celebrating the fifth year in our house, and "negotiating" wasn't fun. I believe deep down, now that it is over that we paid too much, and the seller flat out lied about some things, but that was 5 years ago.

My advise? Do not be afraid to walk away. If you get emotionally tied to a nutter who can't make up their mind, then you will get dragged into their world. If the seller is doing weird things, then you need to cut it off completely. You will know when the right place comes along, and patience is the best thing. Don't settle.

Look at the whole picture with a logical view. We fell in love with one place, but when you really looked at it, a house that had three additions, and all three were heated with different things, one part heating oil, one part coal and one part a fireplace. The woman selling didn't give exact answers to things like water rights, property lines etc. She would always talk about how her husband "said" this and that, but nothing in writing etc. We assumed she was a widow, but after talking to her, we weren't sure she even owned the property she was selling. Needless to say we pulled out of that one.

I was really shocked how many people don't know their property lines, one property showed a field like they owned it and mentioned the great garden location. When I looked the paper work over, they didn't own that field at all, but it was part of the neighboring farm, they mowed it, but it wasn't theirs. A year later I drove past this house and saw that A.) they hadn't sold yet and B.) they planted trees and shrubs on this land (that wasn't theirs).

Good Luck, searching can be fun, and can make you want to pull out your hair!

Tami :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Leta said:
Yeah, the seller of House A is really all over the place. It went up for sale last May at $94,000, quickly got reduced to $82,000. I did a little digging, and found out that she bought in 2007 for $85,000. Based on my calculations, she is cutting it really close at $82,000- after she pays her realtor's commission, she is within a few hundred dollars of being able to pay the mortgage off. I doubt she has any cash to bring to the table- she's under 30, a divorced mother of two who just graduated college, got a job and moved. I very much doubt she has any money. She lowered the price on the house *after* she got a job and moved one state over. I think she had a knee-jerk reaction and panicked. A month after she moved, she rented the house out. She hasn't missed any payments, so no bank is going to agree to a short sale. Now that her payments are being made by the renter, I suspect that she is a lot more comfortable with her situation. The agent told me that she thinks that the seller isn't really emotionally ready to sell the house, especially since the seller just got remarried and got pregnant right away. I understand this to a large extent. I was bay-at-the-moon crazy when I was pregnant. It's obvious that the renter is really comfy there, too- he's got 4 wheelers and boats and snowmobiles and stuff all over the property, LOL.

I do like the place, but this is a whole bunch to take on, and I am not going to massage anyone's ego to sell me her house, and I'm not going to offer *more* than asking price! If she can't be bothered to raise the price listing on MLS then I don't think she's serious. We offered her asking and she turned us down! Which is what makes me think that maybe it's time to just move on.
For House A I would be doing a lot of talking to both the listing broker and the selling broker because in most places they have earned their commision as soon as they have produced a valid offer If it truly was listed at 82K and yours is a valid offer the owner can not up the selling price. If your area uses the usual 3% and 3% comission structure the brokers are losing $2460 each to let her wiggle out of contracts and agreements. They can not force the sale but they can go after her in court for the commission that they have earned. I once nailed an owner that tried the same thing with me but she was smart enough to come up with a phony higher bid which cut my broker out her comission but I checked with the listing broker and he got his since the listing contract was due to run out and he didn't want to deal with that nut again. He took her to court and got a judgement aginst her for breach of contract [a listing is a contract] I am not a lawyer and don't know MI law at all so check with the locals if you want to fight. If the renter has a lease you are usually required to honor the lease if he sends the payments to you. If it is just month to month you usually give notice and schedule closing for after his vacate date since a tenenat can make a mess of the place on the way out.