Real Food Movement

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
onebuggirl said:
inchworm said:
I was channel surfing this morning and caught a bit of a "news segment" espousing the benefits of eating whole milk, butter, eggs, and natural oils (think it was Fox). I think there is a growing undercurrent of people rethinking commercial food. I think things will come around in the next few years and we'll see more real food available.
As stated before too, if we keep spreading our message we maybe able to turn the tide. The sqeaky wheel gets the oil. I am working on educating people (family & friends) about raw milk, real foods and trying to expose the gross truth about processed foods. The BIG battle will be those lobbiests and the Big corporations who will have the $ to sue and shut us up...or make us go more underground than we all ready are.
That corporate tactic can backfire on them also. It can work to encite people to act and speak out. Small groups have the advantage in many cases considering they can react and adapt tactics quicker than a mega-corp.

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I thought you might be interested in some UK sites & opinions. Over here there has been a reaction to the poor state of food production for some years & it is growing all the time. There are a lot of small groups all working to promote awareness in their own areas. They get together at a few large exhibitions or food fairs.

http://therealfoodcampaign.blogspot.com/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/may/11/real-food-festival-best-pick

http://www.sustainweb.org/news/03_2009_call_to_spades_for_uks_local_food_movement/

Hattie

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought that they could not use anything from that garden that Michelle created because the Clintons used human sewage to fertilized the entire lawn of the White House. I saw it on one news segment and thats all I heard I guess it was hush hush.

ohiofarmgirl said:
did anyone catch the ABC world news last nite? they had a segment on how the US Iron Chef team 'battled' against the white house chef and they had to use ingredients from the white house garden!

i dont have cable so i'm sure others saw the show - i'm going to look for it online. i thought it was a great idea!

all the cele-chef commented on fresh, grow your own food! just what the kind of good PR we need to get folks out in the garden!

i was really encouraged by it - even if i dont like bobby flay
;-)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I thought you might be interested in some UK sites & opinions. Over here there has been a reaction to the poor state of food production for some years & it is growing all the time. There are a lot of small groups all working to promote awareness in their own areas. They get together at a few large exhibitions or food fairs.
Here is one of my UK Heros :D

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/

His new book "Trick and Treat" should be in your local book stores. I need to order it. I loved "Natural Health and Weight Loss" and "Eat Fat Get Thin".

We have conversed a couple of times via email. He was not happy with the push to make UK kids drink low fat milk :somad

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
did anyone catch the ABC world news last nite? they had a segment on how the US Iron Chef team 'battled' against the white house chef and they had to use ingredients from the white house garden!

i dont have cable so i'm sure others saw the show - i'm going to look for it online. i thought it was a great idea!

all the cele-chef commented on fresh, grow your own food! just what the kind of good PR we need to get folks out in the garden!

i was really encouraged by it - even if i dont like bobby flay
;-)
Ummm......not so much.......the following link says the Food Network admits 'Iron Chef America' vegetables were NOT even from White House garden.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/chi-talk-white-house-veggiesjan14,0,7560057.story

"They were stunt produce. Ringers."

So much for authenticity, huh?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Re: Food Network

I kinda assumed that they used replacement veggies b/c I thought the show was filmed in CA, (now after reading the article, I realize it was filmed in NY) so in order to use fresh veggies they would have to buy local.

Anyhoo, I still LOVE the fact that the white house has an edible garden AND BEES!!!! White house honey, wow, I sure would love to get some of that!

I also still think it sends out a great message.

Chicago Tribune:
At the beginning of the two-hour special, the chefs were shown picking sweet potatoes, broccoli, fennel and tomatillos from the White House garden. Then the chefs were seen walking into Kitchen Stadium, produce in hand. One problem: The show is filmed in New York City.

"Due to the production delay between the shoot at the White House and the shoot at Food Network, the produce used in Kitchen Stadium during the 'Super Chef Battle' was not actually from the White House garden," said Food Network spokeswoman Lisa Krueger in a statement to The Talk.

Instead, the chefs used replacement produce, though only the same types of fruits and vegetables picked from the White House garden.

Honey was the only ingredient that actually came from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. The White House garden produce, Krueger said, was donated to a local pantry.
And I think it was awesome that they donated the picked-for-the-show veggies to a food pantry. NO WASTE!

Thanks for the article! :thumbsup

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lalaland said:
huh, I don't know how to make this an easy link:

http://www.alternet.org/healthwelln...:_64_easy_steps_to_better_health/?page=entire

but I love Michael Pollan's work - he just came out with a new book 64 rules on eating. rule#11: don't eat food advertised on tv
I just bought this book for my parents. They have food issues (my mother has gained about 100 lbs in the past year and blames it on a medicine she's taking, but eats like there is no tomorrow :rolleyes: ) I'm hoping this will help them to change their eating habits a little at a time. And if they don't want it, I'll keep it.