Real Life - When my preps have saved my butt... How about you folks?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Growing up we went through ice storms that knocked out all utilities for maybe weeks at a time. That wasn't so bad as we had wood stove for cooking and heat, and it was simple enough to go out and scoop up pans of ice to melt for water. Had plenty of candles and a stocked pantry. Other than going to bed a little earlier and washing in less water, and the roads being impassable, not too big a deal.

Loved camping as a child too, and did a lot of camping as an adult, so I'm ok with cooking outside, hauling water, and all that. For that matter, I grew up in old farmhouses with a manual pump out the back door, one with a manual pump in the kitchen, and one with a well with a lowered bucket.

Rode out lots of hurricanes as an adult. You learn to prepare with those. Food put back, water stored for washing and flushing as well as drinking. The really miserable part of it for me was being pregnant in summer in the south with no ac or fans for a couple weeks. THAT was the hardest, LOL.

I never really considered it "preparations" but I always try to have food on hand and make use of everything. Buy on sale cheap and let nothing go to waste. The economy plus a few other issues hit me HARD a few years ago. Basically I was pretty much unable to buy many groceries for the better part of a year. But I still ate VERY well.

I guess that's the main time it saved me. I bought poultry feed and the flocks supplied my family and pets with extra protein too. I've only been at my new place a few months, but I have enough of most things to stretch for probably almost a year. My big expense even now is animal feed, and I try to take advantage of other options for them as well. They REALLY love Osage Orange leaves (goats, llamas, and geese) and I have a lot of them.

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey dragonlaurel I was in the SCA too , so I am use to no electric esp. at Pennisc LOL ,We have a wood stove for back up heat and a back up well for water, I can both hubby and I hunt and fish during the ice stoem that hit here the only thing I worried about was the food in the frige so I'm looking into diferent alterintive, If there is Ice and snow not to much prob but just storms or other desaters I'm not sure yet

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
During our ice storm we had lots of ... ice!

We just gathered that ice and bagged it up in garbage bags to fill the freezer and refrigerator. We basically used them as big ice chests and did not lose a single item.

A power outage in warm weather would be another challenge however. :/