Really Cool Canned Cake Recipe

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My DH found this recipe in an old Camp Cookbook and suprised us by making them all on his own.( I think he was looking for a little time in the kitchen as he usually cooks quite a bit. I have taken over the kitchen lately making jam, jelly, bread, and that kind of stuff.) They turned out great!!

14 Step Canned Cake

1. Clean and ready your wide mouth half pint canning jars, lids, and rings.
2. Mix up any cake mix as per the instructions on the box.
3. Mix in something like M&M's or Mini Chocolate Chips to give the cake a little something extra.
4. Mix up a good icing- something gooey and sticky that will seep down the cake.
5. Fill jars about 1/3 to 1/2 full with the cake batter, it will rise as it bakes.
6. Place jars on a cookie sheet and bake 350 for 20-25 minutes.
7. Test cake with toothpick.
8. Remove from oven poke with a skewer or chop stick and frost immediately. Icing will seep into hole in cake.
9. If your cake has rose above the lip of the jar, just take a knife and trim the top leaving room for icing.
10. Carefully wipe the jar rims to be sure they are clean, be careful, they are very hot.
11. Place a lid and ring on each jar, tighten. Once again - be careful they are still very hot!
12. Allow jars to cool. You will hear them seal.
13. If any do not seal, set aside and have them after dinner tonight!
14. Make a cup of coffee or tea, sit in a comfy chair, and sample the cake!!

They turn out like little individual cup cakes!! I think these would be great for camping or lunch boxes. Many uses!! I will post a pic later if anyone wants to see how they look.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
How long do you think they could be stored outside the fridge?

Added- I looked this up on my favorite "will this be OK" site and copied what they said. Like many pieces of advice, who knows for sure-

"Canned  breads and cakes in glass jars surfaces are popular gift-giving ideas.
The bread or cake is not really home-canned. It is baked in an open glass canning jar
and then covered with a canning lid; there is no further canning process given to the
product.
Canned  breads and cakes are not recommended for home cooks or canning;
choose cake or bread recipes that you can freeze. Many cake and quick bread recipes
contain very little or no acid and thus have the potential for supporting the growth of
hazardous bacteria, such as Clostridium botulinum, if they are present inside the
closed jar. C. botulinum causes an often fatal foodborne illness, called botulism. Given
that many of these bread and cake recipes have been shown to be low in acid, the
major barriers to prevent microbial growth are limited to: (1) the dryness of the product
and (2) the lack of oxygen inside the closed jar (because of vacuum seals). Recipe
variations such as the addition of fruit, zucchini, liquids, etc. all contribute to available
water for microorganisms to use. In addition, lack of oxygen alone does not prevent the
growth of all harmful bacteria. The vacuum seals do not remove all oxygen, so some
would still be available to the bacteria which do need it.
Research at Kansas State University, reported in the Journal of Food Protection
in October 1994, showed that heat-stable microorganisms can survive the baking
process and multiply in the breads during storage. Using their own banana-nut bread
recipe, the researchers at Kansas State University baked the bread in glass jars and
sealed them following methods consumers are typically using. A heat resistant
microorganism that is often used in tests to determine when a canning process is
adequate to produce a safe product was added to the batter for some of the jars. In the
breads that had the test microorganism added, it survived all baking and storage
treatments. Vacuums in the jars (an indication of oxygen removal from the headspace)
were good, but apparently not good enough to be the only control; microbial growth still
occurred since enough moisture was available. Underbaking was found to be another
serious problem. The Kansas State researchers also looked at a range of baking times
that still produced acceptable bread to taste panelists. Those breads baked at the
shorter times even showed that microorganisms that were naturally present could
survive in the baked breads.
Research at other universities with commonly available recipes for consumers
has shown the same potential for dangerous products to result. Nevertheless, recipes
for home-canned  breads and cakes do continue to be available. They appear
occasionally in major newspapers, in books, on television and on the web."

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the information!! I do think they will last for smaller periods of time though and I plan on making them and packing in lunches for my kids and dh. Should not be any different than a cake in a closed container sitting on the counter in the kitchen right?? Here is a pic of the fininshed product...

It is kinda hard to see the cake cause the icing covers the cake and runs down the side.

Duluthsummer2008andcoopwork284.jpg

Here is a pic from the bottom so you can see the chocolate chips.
Duluthsummer2008andcoopwork285.jpg

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That does look good and I think it would be fun for lunches, picknics and outings. They ought to keep better than something baked, then cut up and put in a baggy, not to mention less messy and looks prettier. But I guess we won't be making up a whole batch to keep for Thanksgiving!! :p

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
such a cute idea. Thanks for sharing this. It would work if you did them weekly or so?

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ON BYC I posted this recipe as well. Someone there said that she makes applesauce cakes this way and they last for over a year!! Another person said they make them and then send them overseas to troops stationed in Iraq and Afganistan. I think that would be great!!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner:) said:
ON BYC I posted this recipe as well. Someone there said that she makes applesauce cakes this way and they last for over a year!! Another person said they make them and then send them overseas to troops stationed in Iraq and Afganistan. I think that would be great!!
THat is so nice, this cake looks so good I would probably eat it all first.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thats a great idea, looks delicious! They won't last long in my house anyway so I am not worried about them going bad. I think you are right as far as it shouldn't be any different than any other cake sitting out on the counter for a week.
They are great for trips, and unless you are taking a really extended vacation then you still don't have to worry about them going bad in that amount of time.
These are good to make just for fun, with the kids.
Thanks for the recipe, it was nice of you to share.