really rusty cast iron how to restore

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've heard that Coke makes a wonderful rust remover! Might eat a hole in the cast iron, but probably will take care of the rust.... :rolleyes: :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Koolaid and coke "work" (to the extent that they work, which is not all that much) by being very mild acids -- the carbonic and phosphoric acids in soda, and the ascorbic or citric (I forget) acid in koolaid.

If you are going to go that route, just vinegar will work as well or better.

Unfortunately, none of that stuff will dissolve rust away very well, though. I know it is a popular thing to say, but, go get a few rusty nails, put half in <whatever acidic beverage> for a few days, and then fish them out and compare to the rest of the nails. You'll see what I mean.

Steel wool and elbow grease ;)

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've always used Brillo pads to remove rust on metal. Elbow grease and Brillo pads is pretty effective for most things. Other than that, I would say those little wire brush attachments for your drill might do the trick.

Cetawin

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Sand or Salt (preferrably sea salt) clean the rust away really well with some scrubbing.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I know this is an older post,but....I have cleaned up quite a few pieces of cast iron cookware so I will share my experiences with you folks.
Never and I mean NEVER sandblast a piece of cast iron cookware!! It takes FOREVER to get the sand out of the pores!
Easiest way I have found,is to fire up your bbq grill and run ALL the burners on HIGH. Stick the piece that you want to clean, in the grill and walk away for a couple of hours. Just let it cook. Shut down the grill and let it cool down all by itself and KEEP THE LID CLOSED while it is cooling off! After it is cool,take a couple of paper towels and just wipe the rust off. It will come off in a fine powdery dust. Now,fire up that grill and set it on high AGAIN. Coat the cast iron all over using cooking oil or lard. Cover every square inch of the piece with oil. Put it back into the bbq grill and let it cook again for an hour or so. Let it cool down the same as last time. VOILA' you have just rescued a another fine piece of cookware!!

Mamadirt

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Good advice from SKR8PM, that is the same way as I do mine when needed. The BBQ is the best way as it doesn't stink up the house and you can get the heat higher. I always use lard. LOVE my CR. Jan

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I don't think this applies to iron frying pans but a little caution for those buying used cast iron products from strangers.
I bought a pot with three legs to hang on my crane over the fire in the fireplace for soup. I got it from someone on Ebay and looked at the photos closely.
When I received it the pot had some weird grey colored glaze in it. I asked someone and they said it looked like it was used to heat lead for bullets or whatever. This was a common practice at one time. Not knowing any history or age of the pot and the seller was difficult about this whole affair, I kept it but am afraid to use it for food.
Just a note of caution when getting used cast iron.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I have always just made a big fire and put them in it and would fish them out the next day. I love cast iron, we have a smooth top stove also, I didnt know anything about not being able to use them on a smooth top stove.
Also see if theye are Grizwold cast iron if so, those are collectable.