Rebecca's journal-may be time to restart this

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
my name is Rebecca. I have a wonderful dh and 3 kids ages almost 2, 7, and just turned 9. We live in Arkansas. The last two years have been really hard on us. We lost our home on 10 acres to a tornado, and we lived in a 27 foot camper for over a year. Then my dad passed from a preforated ulcer in June and I inherited his mobile home on 3/4 acre and that is where we are now. My mom passed in 05 from heart failure. I feel too young to not have any parents left. I am only 27, but I feel like I should be 37. I really want to learn to take care of ourlselves with as little bought as possible. My dh and i both work. i work part time nights at a nursing home and he drives a truck locally. I want to raise fish, compost, garden, milk goats, raise rabbits and chickens. So far we have everything but the garden and the fish. We are just having problems placing it all where it should be. Plus the place is an utter wreck-desperately neding to be cleaned up. We have been working on it, but it seems that nothing has been going right and I have had to work extra just to pay the bills. We are lucky that this place is paid off, and the other place is almost there. We plan on building a house there someday. The way the neighbors are here it may be sooner than we planned. One of the neighbors threated to call the police because on of my rir roo's was in her yard. So i put him in a pen. I told her all she had to do was say something, i wasn't difficult to get along with, and i also ponted out to her that her dil said she liked the chicken and was feeding it and that she had told me with her own mouth that it wasn't bothering her. Oh well, she is elderly, maybe she is getting dementia. I grew up in this mobile home and know all the neighbors, but only one has been friendly. i don't know what is going on. My dad wasn't the friendliest person in the world but sheesh! I even brought some new towels and stuff to one of my neighbors from my old job at the condo's that they couldn't use or send back and they told me don't bring them aything else! hurt my feelings! So i gave them away to other people who wanted them! I really don't think they like my animals, but there is no ordinance against them. They'll really freak if we bring the horses!
Oh well maybe they'll get over it. I feel like the redneck in the subdivision.( it's not really a subdivision, just on a highway with fairly nice houses all around and one nice neighbor and I both in mobile homes with old cars out front :hide) Well that is my boring life!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
:welcome

I can't imagine loosing my home to a tornado. I get nervous in gusty winds. I can only imagine your despair over the last few years with all your losses.

I am looking forward to read more about your progress. :frow

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sure your journal won't be boring. Hang in there. These tough times will pass, and you'll find your footing in the SS lifestyle.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Doesn't sound boring to ME! Welcome to the forum and I hope you can maybe fix up the place, sell it and move where you have nicer neighbors! :p Or NO neighbors...even better! :D

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Rebecca, your life sounds anything but boring! It sounds as though you're a hard worker, and you're only 27 (my boys are 25 and 29 next month, and they haven't dealt with half of what you've dealt with!) - keep up working hard and you will see returns on your efforts!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Try not to look at all the things that still need to be done. Look at what you have accomplished and be glad for that. Yeah, I hear you about "nothing going right." I find it helps to just let it roll off your back and keep working on something (or take a nice long break). I guess I feel like I'm not in a space in my life anymore where I can just throw my hands up in the air and give up . . . but ohhhhh how I would love to! I am wishing you the resiliency to keep moving forward! :D And the neighbors . . . yeah, well I can't really say on this forum what I'd like to say to them. :lol: I find it helps a little to know you are not alone . . . lots of us are dealing with the same stuff!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score

My daughter and SIL bought my dad's trashy place. Complete with grumpy neighbors.

My daughter began the epic cleanup, which is still in progress 5 years later and you would be amazed at how much nicer the neighbors are now!

Hopefully some tidying up and a few fresh eggs will bring your neighbors around as well! Glad you are joining us!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hi Rebecca! I'm looking forward to reading about your plans! I live on 3/4 of an acre too, in a 3 bedroom house that seems to need 3 things fixed for every 1 we get done! I have chickens and ducks and dream about the day I can add a few milk goats. I'm not sure that will ever happen here.
I've got 19 years on you and I'm never sure I'll have the energy. I've got a 7 year old son and between him and the 4 month old puppy, I'm beat!!
I know how you feel about being the redneck in the subdivision. We're on a cul-de-sac in a small town. There are farms around us but we are the only ones on this street with animals. There are goats around the corner that we can hear, and horses down the street but I am definitely the oddball here. Tough! Like your place, there is no ordinance here either. HOpe your neighbors come around. I'm glad you found us!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow Nice to meet you Rebecca. Sounds like you have had a really tough year or so. Rejection is so hard to take, there are alot of people here in the same boat - me included. Neighbors and family don't know what to think.