Rechargeable batteries

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need a quick tutorial on rechargeable batteries... ;)

I thought it might be prudent to switch most of my alkaline batteries to RB in my emergency storage, being that 1) a large package I bought leaked & had to be thrown out, so I have to get more anyway, and 2) I was thinking I might want to get a solar battery charger so I can keep truckin' during a blackout or battery shortage(hopefully).

Sounded pretty simple (I thought)...until I started looking at all the batteries out there (Ni-cd, ni-mh, lithion, etc). :barnie

I should point out I'm referring to the usual AA, C, D.

So...what's the difference (in layman's terms) between them all? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Can any or all be used in a solar charger (like the one sold by Emergency Essentials, for instance)?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have no clue of the differences but have been told the Ni-Cd are the best, so I went with those, and am very happy with the results. The batteries I have are the only ones i will use in my digital camera, because they are the only ones that don't run down in about 3 minutes. I use them for my candler and flashlights too. The rechargeables, are really worth it to me, I have had great results, and am well pleased. I can't answer your questions, but I can say I will never go back to disposable junk batteries. It's always a crapshoot as to how fresh they are from the shelves anyway. Waste of money IMO.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) batteries are usually the cheapest, but may develop a memory if recharged before they are fully discharged. However, they will hold a charge (unused) for a longer period of time than a NiMH will. These are also the least environmentally friendly of the three types, although none are without hazards.

Nickel-Metal Hydroxide (NiMH) batteries can a provide superior discharge time before having to be recharged. They are also not supposed to develop a memory like NiCad's will and will not lose as much of their charge when sitting for long periods of time unused. They are however, less rugged and also more expensive.

Lithium-Ion batteries provide all of the qualities of the NiMH batteries, but also generally provide more energy storage, and provide an even longer discharge time. More importantly, they lose virtually none of their charge when sitting unused. This makes them great for emergency use. They are also usually the most expensive.

I hope this helps.