Recipe for Cranberry Swirl Bread

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I've had a few requests for the recipe, so I thought I would post it.

Cranberry Swirl Loaf

3-3 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) quick rise yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. butter, cubed

Filling:
1 c. chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. water
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Topping:
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. cold butter, divided

1. In a large bowl, combine 1 c. flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120-130. Add to dry indredients, beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

3. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, brown sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, walnuts and lemon juice. Cool.

4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 20" x 10" rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2" of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with long side. Pinch edges to seal. Place in a zigzag pattern in a greased 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan. (I did not zigzag mine. I made 2 loaves and put each in a loaf pan.)

5. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in 1 tbsp. butter until crumbly. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Sprinkle with topping. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.

6. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
By the way, you did a really nice job on your swirl! :D Thanks for sharing your recipe. Have you tried it with the topping? It looks like you omitted it on the one in the picture.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
By the way, you did a really nice job on your swirl! :D Thanks for sharing your recipe. Have you tried it with the topping? It looks like you omitted it on the one in the picture.
Thanks. :)

You're right, I did omit it. No, I haven't tried it with the topping. My crumbly toppings never turn out crumbly, just mushy.

It's good enough without the topping. :p :lol:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think toppings like that have a tendency to pull moisture out of the air. That seems to happen to me sometimes, anyway. :/

HiDelight

Power Conserver
Reaction score
snatching this recipe for my own personal use :)

thanks!