1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Laugh(s) for the day and over 100k views for this thread can't be wrong. Keep them coming
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Recipe Templates?

Discussion in 'The Homestead Kitchen - Recipes Etc' started by 20chicks, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Jan 4, 2018
    20chicks

20chicks Sustainable Newbie

Hi, new here from Upstate NY.
    Somewhere (I think in a book) I saw a collection of what I can only call recipe templates that had the basic measurements for all kinds of things; quick breads, salad dressings etc. Boes this sound familiar to anyone?

baymule likes this.
  2. Jan 4, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Yes it does, but I don't know where to go find it. Welcome to the forum!

3. Jan 4, 2018
    TexasLisa

TexasLisa Lovin' The Homestead

4. Jan 4, 2018
    20chicks

Thanks. I might be able to use that but what I was thinking of - and didn't word correctly was measurement proportions of basic recipes. For example Muffins; 2 C flour, 1 egg, __sugar, __baking powder/soda...then you could add in whatever you wanted. It gave the proportions for many different recipes as a jumping off point. For me it would mean a lot less looking recipes up and just going with standard proportions.
    And thanks for the welcome. We are new here and haven't yet found community of the kind we left behind.

5. Jan 4, 2018
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

no clue. I don't cook. Welcome to the forum!

6. Jan 4, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

Welcome to the forum! :frow

I can't help you with the template, but I'm thinking @Britesea may have something for you. (She's an amazing cook)

7. Jan 4, 2018
    Country homesteader

Country homesteader Lovin' The Homestead

Hi 20chicks!
    Welcome to sufficient self!!!!
    I also live in NY State, close to Cooperstown ( famous for Baseball Hall of Fame).
    I wish I could assist you with what you are trying to find. I do cook but lot's of time if a recipe calls for a tsp of vanilla extract or cinnamon I add a little more. The only thing I follow is flour, baking soda or baking powder. That's only for baking. If I am just cooking something for a meal I just put how ever much I want in it especially when I make homemade baked Mac & Cheese- the more cheese the better.
    Feel free to private message me if you need to. I have issues with sleeping so there may be some nights I'm on late at night and then some mornings when I'm on very early then there might be days where it's just impossible for me to get on at all.

8. Jan 4, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

Hi and welcome! I've not done that much with templates, but I make up mixes a lot- then add what I want to it. Similar to commercial BisQuick and stuff like that. One of my favorites is only buying vanilla ice cream, then adding a regular 31Flavors to it- I have a lot of freeze-dried fruits that I powder and then mix in: strawberries, peach, bananas... or your can add espresso powder or cocoa and so forth.
    I'm going to be checking up on that Chefs resource- it looks like a great idea!

sumi likes this.
  9. Jan 5, 2018
    20chicks

Thanks all and lovely to see someone else from NY!

10. Jan 9, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

If you're able to find the recipe template collection you are looking for, I'm interested in it also. I'm annoyed with modern recipes and cookbooks. They're soo.... :duc:hide