Recipe to make clothes smell good?

Emsevers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've been hanging my clothes outside, when it's not pouring down rain, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to make the clothes smell good. I know a lot of people like the smell of clothes hung outside but I love how they smell when they come out of the dryer. I know I could use liquid fabric softener but I was thinking more something that I would spray on them outside? I don't know if this is something people do.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use this to "freshen up" an article of clothing, but not on a load by load basis for laundry. I use this also in my house.
Here is the recipe I have been using for about 5 years with no ill effects that I have found
Faux Febreeze
Ingredients
1 1/2-4 tablespoons ultra downy fabric softener ( I usually get whatever scent is on sale)
25 ounces water
32 ounces spray bottle, new and clean
Directions
Put Downy and water in bottle and spray on furniture, carpeting, pillows, shower curtains -- etc -- To do a fabric test, spray small amount in an area where it cannot be seen. I have used on whites also, but I would test first!
Good luck, I am sure you will get several good responses.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Some people use scented water (rose, lavender, citrus) in the rinse cycle.

I use white vinegar in the rinse. There is no smell, except clean, fresh clothes on the lnie.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Emsevers said:
I've been hanging my clothes outside, when it's not pouring down rain, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to make the clothes smell good. I know a lot of people like the smell of clothes hung outside but I love how they smell when they come out of the dryer. I know I could use liquid fabric softener but I was thinking more something that I would spray on them outside? I don't know if this is something people do.
Hey Em

I was just like that...NOW, just NOW, over about 8 mos. I am getting used to the "outside" smell of clothes....honestly if you give it time they "start to smell good"---HA HA HA

seriously.

but yea, I use just some vinegar in the rinse cycle and I do add a drop of lavender essential oil in the rinse also......very very little of this but it did give the clothes a nice smell.

but since I am lazy and miss the rinse cycle alot of times, I am just "used" to outside smell and go with the flow now.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I LOVE the smell of line dried clothing and I can't imagine that any B&B would not use this method to give their guest the ultimate in luxury! The ozone really cleans all foreign odors out of the clothing. If I get no other clothing hung up, my bed linens come first.....the smell is intoxicating!

I think you would really like it if you did it for awhile and then all that perfumey stuff would be too cloying. :)

You could always spritz a paper towel with your favorite smell and use it like a fabric softener sheet. Just be careful using it in a hot dryer, as it may result in oil spots on your laundry.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I'm sure noooo one else has done this but it sure makes line dried clothes even better; leave them on the line over night. The dew or something really makes them smell cottony clean, especially when washed with homemade laundry soap!
If I won the lottery and became filthy rich I would have fresh line dried sheets changed on the bed every single night. :love

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, Sylvie....I've definitely left clothes out overnight!!! :lol: And all the next day, too! You know, that whole working mom thingy.....sometimes you get things done and sometimes they have to wait until you get the time! :p

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I just left my bedsheets on the line all night last night...and all day today...that reminds me, it's supposed to rain soon, better go bring them in:>)

Emsevers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I guess I will just try putting the vinegar in that washing machine and try to get used to the smell. I don't hate it, I'm just used to the other smells from the dryer. Hopefully it will grow on me.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is too funny, because my clothes are on the line right now getting soaked and I think I will just leave them until tomorrow. I will take them off when they dry!:gig