Recipe to make clothes smell good?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That might be the only thing I miss from TX, line dried clothes. And in TX your clothes dried in about 5 minutes. NO DOUBT!

I loved the smell too of line dried clothes..ahhh! Something else, perhaps it was the well water we had when we lived in the country, but the clothes had a subtle stiffness that was just as good as starch when you ironed the things that needed to be ironed.

Now here in North Western Washingon, I think line dried clothes only comes in the summer. Although, I've only been here since October. (We had one heck of a winter and a lot of rain this spring.)

:gigI am going to try vinegar in the rince cycle with my downey ball for my 12 year old's stinky drawers!! :lol: Thanks for the tip!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I love the smell after the clothes have been rained on while on the line. Just as long they don't keep getting rained on for days on end. A good wind whips them dry and makes them soft.
Vinegar also helps remove that moldy smell from damp towels etc., and it keeps your colors.

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I haven't tried this recipe yet. I've made it but then didn't do any more laundry..lol. I used a fragrance oil instead of the essential as I have on called Clean Linen (I love the smell!). I will be trying it today. Here is the recipe for those who want to try it!

Homemade Fabric Softener

1 cup baking soda
6 cups white vinegar
8 cups water
10-15 drops oragne or lemon essential oil, or any oil you prefer (optional)
A one gallon container (empty)

1. Add the baking soda to the container
2. Add 1 cup water to start with
3. Slowly add the vinegar to the container as the vinegar and baking soda will start to fizz
4. Add the rest of the water swirling around & cover venting the top a few times
5. Add the essential oil

Add 1 cup to the final rinse cycle for each load but give the container a good shake to stir up the essential oil.

Makes 15 cups.