recipes for deer meat

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I'll give you guys my favorite deer recipe, it's for barbeque.

Place whatever meat you like (roast, tenderloin, whatever) in a pressure cooker with the following:
1 onion chopped
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1-2 cloves of chopped garlic
1 stick of butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cook for 45 minutes--you can use frozen meat

While the meat is cooking mix together the following:
1 bottle of Kraft original barbeque sauce (just the plain, no fancy flavors)
1 bottle of Sauers barbeque sauce (if you can't find Sauers use your favorite vinegar based sauce)
1 can of Budweiser

When the meat is done place it in a baking dish and shred or pull to desired barbeque consistency. I also try to fish out some of the onion pieces if there is anything left of them. Pour the sauce over the meat to cover and refridgerate any leftover sauce. Bake in an oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes on 375 or until the top gets a little brown or the sauce thickens a little.

This is really good straight out of the oven but it is even better after it sits for a day or two and the sauce has a chance to soak in the meat. We have used this for several parties and church outings and got great response from everyone, even the "I don't like deer meat" people.

Hope you can try this...it's really good!

Lori

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Anybody else have some they want to post?

I did this one last night....

Marinate the backstrap in soy sauce and a little yellow mustard with a little pepper to your liking for at least 1 hour.

I cooked it on medium heat in a frying pan with some olive oil and butter and then used the drippings to make a gravy with a little flour and milk and served it with some homemade mayonnaise buscuits.....yum!

Lori

funkychicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
deer lasagna, deer chili, deer spagatti, deer tips w/ mashed taters,yummy deer and I even canned some!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OH Lori those sound delicious!

I must confess, the fanciest my deer dishes get are toss in skillet, salt and pepper, slap on plate when done. :rolleyes:

In the warmer months we usually have some venison steaks saved up to toss on the grill. I season them with steak seasonings and cook like we would beef steak.

Ok, now you got me hungry for steak and eggs for breakfast!!!

Mrs. H.

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have one I like. I've used this on elk too.

SPICED VENISON POT ROAST

5 lbs venison roast
2 TBS. shortening
1 TBS. cinnamon
1 TBS. ginger
2 TBS. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 TBS. vinegar
2 cups tomato juice
2/3 cup chopped onion (or to taste)
pepper (to taste)

Brown venison in shortening. transfer to dutch oven.
Mix together all other ingredients and pour over venison.
Cover and simmer for three hours or until meat is tender, basting with mixture.
Thicken juices if desired after meat is done.

(I'm thinking this would work well in a slow cooker too. Just haven't tried it that way yet.)

morgj

Power Conserver
Reaction score
an easy peasy one that is delish - for the crock pot.

3-4 lbs deer roast
1 onion sliced
1 Tbs Soy Sauce
1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbl Garlic Powder
1/2 -1 tsp pepper
salt to taste
1 env. onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup (or your wonderful homemade version)

Place deer meat in bottom of crock pot and place sliced onion over the top. Sprinkle garlic and pepper and salt over onions, then sprinkle the soy and worch. sauce. Mix together the mushroom soup and onion soup mix together and pour over all. Cook on low for about 6 hours. Remove meat and thicken as needed.

You will enjoy.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ooohhh morgj, you better look out! Somebody is gonna yell at you for using a can of cream of mushroom soup! LOL! (that stuff is REALLY bad for you).

I use deer in any recipe that calls for beef. That's about it. I don't like the taste of beef fat much (I don't really like meat fat much at all), so I don't worry about it. Yeah, a roast in the oven doesn't really work the same, but I just don't make a deer roast in the oven.

Canned deer is the BEST!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I'll give you guys my favorite deer recipe, it's for barbeque.

Place whatever meat you like (roast, tenderloin, whatever) in a pressure cooker with the following:
1 onion chopped
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1-2 cloves of chopped garlic
1 stick of butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cook for 45 minutes--you can use frozen meat

While the meat is cooking mix together the following:
1 bottle of Kraft original barbeque sauce (just the plain, no fancy flavors)
1 bottle of Sauers barbeque sauce (if you can't find Sauers use your favorite vinegar based sauce)
1 can of Budweiser

When the meat is done place it in a baking dish and shred or pull to desired barbeque consistency. I also try to fish out some of the onion pieces if there is anything left of them. Pour the sauce over the meat to cover and refridgerate any leftover sauce. Bake in an oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes on 375 or until the top gets a little brown or the sauce thickens a little.

This is really good straight out of the oven but it is even better after it sits for a day or two and the sauce has a chance to soak in the meat. We have used this for several parties and church outings and got great response from everyone, even the "I don't like deer meat" people.

Hope you can try this...it's really good!

Lori
But doesn't the venison get lost in the final dish? I can't imagine being able to taste anything more than the BBQ sauce, or am I mistaken?
All of DH's family still live in Germany; we love it when our *every few years* trip there is in autumn. The Germans are really into game cookery, and we take advantage :lol:. Not being hunters we don't often get a chance here.