Recipes from our Grandparents

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Savingdogs started a thread where we've been discussing things we learned from our grandparents. Food is always part of the topic and I decided to share some of my Grandmother's recipes. Everybody join in the fun.

The first recipe is a Sugar Cure recipe for curing hogs. Her father, Andrew Jackson Myers, taught her how to make the rub, apply it to the meat, wrap it in brown paper and hang it to drip. She was 9 years old when her mother passed and she was left to care for her younger siblings while he would go off for a week at a time to work. They lived in Wears Valley, and could walk to Pigeon Forge (nothing much there but a post office - that was before Dollywood came along). She wrote this out for my Aunt in 1984 on Mother's Day and it's a part of a recipe book I put together for my Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins. I'll write it out just as she did:

For a hog weighing 200 lbs. dressed
1 Pint salt
6 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
4 Tablespoons black pepper
2 Tablespoons pulverized red pepper

Rub in skin side 1st then put rest on raw side. Work in real good. What won't work in, pat on.

Wrap in tough brown paper, tie good with twine, place in bag and hang to cure. It will drip lots, however that is to be expected. Will be ready to eat in 2 to 3 weeks.

Have kept hams from November til June, still wrapped. Makes real good brown gravy or red-eye gravy.

My aunt also noted that Mamaw would make some "poke" or "sack" sausage. This was sausage that she would stuff in cloth bags she had sewn together. She would then hang them in the smoke house with the other meat to cure. It took a month or more before it would be ready to slice and fry.

Later on, I'll post her Potato Rolls recipe.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Grandmother was a good cook - she could throw together a dinner in a matter of minutes and never once made a trip to a grocery store. My Grandfather did all the grocery shopping on his way home from work.

When she knew my husband and I would be home for a holiday meal, she always made extra Potato Rolls, cause she knew he would be sneaking in the kitchen grabbing them to snack on while dinner was being put on the table.

Mamaw Marine's Potato Rolls

Mix together and stir til blended:
1-1/2 C. lukewarm potato water
1 pkg. + 1 tsp. yeast
2/3 C. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Add:
1 beaten egg
2/3 C. shortening

Mix well and add 1 C lukewarm mashed potatoes.
Add 1 - 1 1/2 C self-rising flour.
Knead well until smooth. Place dough in greased bowl and lightly grease top of dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Make into rolls, lightly grease top and let rise about 1 hour or until double in size. Bake until brown at 400*.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Vegetable Soup

2 Cups of Cabbage (chopped in big pieces)
1 Cup of Onions (chopped in medium sized pieces)
1 Cup of Carrots (Chopped in medium size pieces)
1 Cup of Peas (Canned or frozen, doesnt matter)
1 Cup of Corn (canned or frozen, doesnt matter)
2 Cups of Potatoes (chopped)
1 Quart of Tomatoes or 1 Quart of Juice (you can do half and half)
1 Stick of Butter
1 TBSP of Salt
1 TSP of Cayenne Pepper Powder (optional)
1 TBSP of Sugar
X amount of meat can be added. She has put everything from leftover pork chops to dried cornbeef.

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil. Then simmer on medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes.

Its finger lickin good!

The best!!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
KC, I'm not much of a cook. What is potato water?

BB I want to try that one....that is my kinda soup.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
KC, I'm not much of a cook. What is potato water?

BB I want to try that one....that is my kinda soup.
ITS the BEST!!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I was young, and my mother would be sick, I would boil potatoes, butter them then drain the water off for her to drink. I thought I was making potato soup - and bless her heart, she never told me any different. I thought I made her better.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This recipe was from my Father's mother, Ethel Weaver Wilson:

Vinegar Pudding

2 C. sugar
3/4 C. flour
3 egg yolks
4 C. milk
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 stick margarine (real butter would be much better and I bet she used real butter)
Vanilla wafers

Combine sugar, flour and milk and blend well. Add egg yolks and cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat, add vinegar and margarine.

After mixture cools, layer with vanilla wafers, beginning with wafers.
Cover with meringue and bake in oven until meringue is browned.

This is really good. Mamaw's people rarely had access to lemons so I guess vinegar was a substitute.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Did she ever put bananas in that? My grandma made something similar but it had bananas.

I'm the youngest child of the youngest child so my grandma was old when I grew up. She had stopped really cooking as much by then. So I did not think to ask for her recipes she had made more when I was a kid.