Recipes & Meal Prep from Long Term Food Storage

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
So, as the rest of the world begins to hunker down, what are some of your favorite meals for breakfast, lunch and supper that you like to fix from the pantry, garden, or freezer? I have several that I will share as we go. Let the discussion begin!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We probably won't change all that much. What I think will be a small change is that I'm not driving into town for a loaf of bread. We don't eat a lot of bread - but if so it'll probably be homemade or even Keto type muffins or biscuits. Eggs are a standard - but I get tired of eggs and only eat them once or at most twice a week.

Lunch/dinner - the freezers are full. But, occasionally DH gets a hankering for Spam. I dunno why, lol. But, I gotta admit that sliced Spam, onions and potatoes fried up crispy is almost comfort food here. I know.... barfville for some and definitely not Keto. But...sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Make it turnips instead of potatoes and it would be ok for Keto. Texture is similar and the taste isn't bad.

I'm accessing our canned vegetables now, and gonna start sprouts for salad. Otherwise, it's business as usual. We had pepperoni pizza last night, made with a crust composed of mozzarella cheese, hemp hearts, and eggs, with a side of oil-cured olives (which I prefer over any other kind). Our freezer is full of a variety of meat, plus we have freeze-dried, canned, and dehydrated foods available, and the chickens are finally gearing up (we are getting an average of 3-4 eggs a day).

Does anyone know the best way to keep turnips if you don't have a root cellar? I'll be trying to keep some in the ground this next fall, to see if that works for us.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Fried radishes are good too as a fried tater substitute.

Freezer is full, so thankful for that. We eat fairly plain foods, so the lack of variety will be the challenge

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
So, what are your favorite foods that you can prepare from food storage?

Here are some of my favorites:

Homemade Pizza
Blackberry Muffins
Montana Venison Stew
Baked Spaghetti

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we eat basic stuff chicken fried deer steak, hamburgers, spaghetti, etc

breakfast is usually oatmeal, eggs, or cereal. plan on eating the same except with more homemade bread

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our diet will be mostly the same. This is the time of year we get sick of eggs. I do bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns (for dinner. I can't eat eggs unless Ive been up at least 6 hours.)

Meat, veggies, and potatoes. Method of delivery just varies. Sometimes soup, roast, steak. I don't have a lot of burger but cottage pie is on the menu about once or twice a month. Spaghetti sometimes. I'm really good with soups.

Sandwiches occasionally.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We do lots of casseroles, stews, quiches when we have a lot of eggs. It's rare that we have a steak or a chop because I'm so used to making meat stretch. Breakfast is usually eggs, scrambled usually so I can throw in some veggies or leftovers, and some sort of salty (sometimes cured) meat like bacon, ham, sausage, spam, corned beef. This morning I made low carb biscuits using Carbalose flour, but more often it will be a MIM (Muffin In a Minute) or a low carb tortilla.

Sandwiches are rare, because of the bread thing. In the summer we do LOTS of supper salads

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Nothing much will change here. I'm expecting to still be able to buy fresh produce, but if the supply chain fails or we're stuck home too long, we'll use what is left in the freezer and then do without. IF that actually happened, it probably would be near when we could forage or start early harvest at least some leafy greens and radish.

If we can't get to the grocery store and run out of flour, then family will have to have rice instead of bread. Doesn't affect me.

I bought frozen orange juice concentrate in case I can't get to the grocery store for fresh OJ. I use that a lot in smoothies with cauliflower and carrots.

Meals here are pretty much meat (venison or lamb), veggies + salad, and a side of grain-something for the rest of my family.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't believe it's practical to stock up on things you don't normally eat and then try to figure out what to make with the random rice and beans or whatever. In this COVID-19 situation, we're not prepping to last for years, so rice/beans strategy is misguided - waste of money for most people. In my lifestyle, I'm only prepping until the next harvest of that particular item.

Latest posts