Recipes that require only a few available ingredients.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
There is alot of talk of people not going to be able to get the food that we are able to get now. Rumor has it that stores willl not be stocking the things that we take for granted and are able to buy now.
If it comes down to it and people cannot get alot of the items they will need to cook and feed their families.
Does anyone have recipes for meals that require very few ingredients that are also not going to be impossible to get.
One pot meals and the like.
If anyone wants to post recipes for meals that use things that we will be able to get now and store for later, that don't require alot please do.
Also, since many of us own chickens it would be great to get some recipes that use eggs, aside from the common breakfast variety.

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get most of my recipes off the internet, but some of my favorite recipes that use many eggs are lemon meringue pie (made 5 last week and froze 3), angel food cake (used the yolks to mix into the food for the cats and dog), quiche (again good to freeze), and red pickled eggs. I always crush my shells into tiny bits to give back to the chickens.
linn

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff we used to eat when I was a kid. My mamaw was the best cook ever!

Almost any kind of dry beans cooked with bacon (bacon grease or salt pork), salt & pepper. That's a hearty meal!

Eggplant (or okra) stewed with diced tomatoes (onions & garlic optional, but oh so delicious.)

hoecake (cornmeal, water & salt) served with any of these.

Pasta salad like my grandma used to make: macaroni noodles, or shells with mayonnaise and diced fresh tomatoes.

Hamburger (or other ground meat) patties, fried, then simmered in gravy (flour, oil, water, salt & pepper)

Pancakes (flour & water) with fruit preserves.

Homemade biscuits (flour, buttermilk, oil) with
Tomato gravy (flour, oil, canned tomatoes)

Makin' me hawngry :D I may think of more later.

Cassandra

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm the Queen of the One Dish Wonders.... :D We've been living on short rations most of my life, so we always seemed to concentrate on foods that would make a lot for a little and still fill you up...also tastey! Anything with rice, pasta, potatoes can be stretched into a million recipes...unfortunately, these things also make you plenty fat, but they are cheap!

We make our beans in the crockpot overnight, so it takes the work out of it. As a working mom, I will tell you that the crockpot can be your best friend and is always good for those one dish, cheap recipes. Potato soup, veggie soup, chili...all can be filling and made in the crockpot with a minimum of ingredients. Homemade bread is always a good standby...you can center all kinds of food/dishes around bread.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There is alot of talk of people not going to be able to get the food that we are able to get now. Rumor has it that stores willl not be stocking the things that we take for granted and are able to buy now.

*********Simple Life-----what are you referring too...I haven't heard anything like this at all??? What foods and why? Just wondering what you might have heard or seen on the news or something?

BUT--for the thread---I am not a one meal type cook.....rarely do I make casseroles, don't make carb heavy meals, very rare.
They way we eat is basically a plate of meat, veggies, salad and maybe a biscuit or so for Tony and Nicole.......I do make beef stew in the crockpot... and do make beef or chicken noodle soups but not often. Meals for us is meat and veggies.

For stocking up---hmm.....I guess it would be to lay in more meat and frozen veggies in the freezer. Not worried about my greens and salad stuff cause I can grow that.....I would put up a greenhouse if needed and fuel with wood stove type for cooler weather. Instead of thinking of stocking the pantry more, I guess I would put my money into learning how to grow my own food thru winter and have the greenhouse situation to do that.

I love omlettes, LOL, so no recipes really for me that would use up a ton of eggs, I could live on cheese and mushroom omlettes!! I have tons of eggs and never seem to have an overload cause I use my share on omlettes..HA HA

I guess I didn't contribute too much to the thread..HA HA...just me..LOL

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love my Crock pot! I actually have 2 large ones and a smaller one. I use the large ones at leat once or twice a week. They are very convenient and use alot less energy that the oven!

One of my favorite easy and few ingredient recipes...

Biscuit bites
Make dough and cut into biscuits as usual. Put a little ham, or browned hamburger, or left over chicken, and a little cheese on the top of a biscuit, and another biscuit on top and seal together. Bake at 350 for about 10-15 min. depending on your oven. When biscuits are golden you are good to go. These are one of my boys favorites!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, something yummy & low carb: Egg drop soup. You can make broth from chicken scraps or bones. Just wisk up an egg or two and drizzle into simmering chicken broth.

Traditionally, I believe this is seasoned with a piece of ginger. I like salt, pepper & green onions in mine.

Cassandra

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
the simple life said:
If it comes down to it and people cannot get alot of the items they will need to cook and feed their families.
Does anyone have recipes for meals that require very few ingredients that are also not going to be impossible to get.
One pot meals and the like.
If anyone wants to post recipes for meals that use things that we will be able to get now and store for later, that don't require alot please do.
Also, since many of us own chickens it would be great to get some recipes that use eggs, aside from the common breakfast variety.
What have you heard simple life? Like farmerchick, I don't want to steal the thread, but I haven't heard of food shortages.

But, to stay in line with your question, Chicken Pot Pie is one of our favorites.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The difficulty is that without knowing *which* few ingredients one is going to have on hand... ;) Seriously though.

I would suggest that the most useful thing is to have practice with general processes that can be carried out on sorta whatever ingredients one has on hand. For fresh veggies, a stir-fry type thing. For almost all veggies, soups/stews. For eggs, omelettes or frittattas incorporating whatever else one has. Also handy to be able to make a casserole based on whatever sauce you have handy (tomato sauce, white sauce, roast drippings) plus whatever starch(es) are handy plus whatever meat and/or veggies are handy. That sort of thing. If you practice at the PROCESS a bunch, you get good enough at it that you can work with whatever you've got.

I would add 'making bread and bread-related products' to that list, too -- probably making a basic general-purpose dough, sourdough, and a baking-soda or baking-powder quick bread. Practice, again, is the most important thing, so that you get reasonably comfortable with judging when it's right and making it come out acceptably.

JMO,

Pat

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Pat, it all depends on the ingredients. The best way to get practice in cooking with just a few random things is to challenge yourself to not go to the store for two or three weeks and see what you can come up with. A couple things we've made are :

Rice topped with black beans, salsa(or even just fresh tomato,) and slices of hard boiled egg on top. If you want to get fancy you can devil those eggs :)

Omelette or frittata with whatever you can find to fill them, fresh veggies, ham, cheese, leftover chicken.

Spaghetti and sauted greens, with sauce made with soy sauce, water and peanut butter.

Roasted potatoes with scrambled eggs on the side.

My kids' least favorite: "stuff-I-found-in-the-fridge-soup" Usually when I roast a chicken I make stock and then freeze it and add to it at will. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes it's so-so. But as my DH always says to the kids when they complain about food, "You're only three meals away from loving it"