recommend me a shampoo?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Suave is pretty cheap. My mom is hooked on some costly tea tree oil shampoos and conditioners and they are simply great! But I can't see myself paying $4 or $5 for a bottle of shampoo. I like quality stuff as well as the next person, but some things I just won't pay for....one is something that washes down the drain every other day!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Been lurking here for awhile, but finally joined today. Came here from BYC.
I was using the cheap stuff from Trader Joe for years, and liked it well enough, but then read about using baking soda, and it has changed the way I wash my below waist length hair. I mix baking soda with about 3 times as much water in a recycled shampoo bottle - this needs thorough shaking before each use. I squeeze enough on my scalp to make it wet (just my scalp, not all my hair) and massage it in well with my fingertips. Leave it there for a few minutes while I wash the rest of me, and then rinse my hair. For short hair that might be enough; for my long hair I repeat the process, the second time scrunching my hair with the soda mixture in it, so it reaches all of it. And then I rinse with apple cider vinegar mixed with warm water (my mother used to do this when I was a little girl, but I got out of the habit), also leaving that to soak for a few minutes. (If one has time, and the proper climate, sitting in the sun to dry the hair after a vinegar rinse gives nice highlights over time). I've been doing this for about 2 months now, and my hair feels wonderful! I wash it about every 5 days or so. The downside is that I end up smelling very vinegary until my hair is dry (then the smell is gone), so if I need to go somewhere I skip the vinegar, and use a little of the conditioner that I used to use. And the whole set up isn't practical when we travel, but at home it works nicely. I have wavy hair that tends to tangle; I feel I have fewer tangles with the baking soda and vinegar. And the "flyaways" don't seem to be as noticeable. It works well, its cheaper, it avoids the not so nice ingredients that are in some shampoos - whats not to like? I've read that some people do a regular shampoo and conditioner treatment every few washes, but I don't feel the need in my case. I have only done the shampoo thing the couple of times we were on the road. I would recommend this to anyone - at least on a trial basis, to see if it works for you. Those with finer hair than mine might need to wash more often than I.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick,

Thank you for mentioning about the baking soda shampoo!

I'm allergic to Suave, V05, and White Rain shampoo and can't use Pantene since it's to heavy for my hair (it's pretty thin and frizzy) and manu other shampoos just won't rinse clean!!! I've been using Pert for about a year now and it does pretty good for me and I get it a BJ's wholesale on the cheap.

The only disadvantage is we are looking at a gray water system and I need to find good organic replacements for our chemicals and this sounds pretty good!

Thanks again!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
a hair dressers opinion, if you looking for salon products I always liked Matrix products. At home I use Suave daily clarifying shampoo and Sunsilk - captivating curls. My hair is probably 50/50 regular and coarse and curly, the sunsilk keeps it smooth and I use the clarifying about once a week to keep everything from building up. If I use conditioner my hair gets greasy, I used to use a spray on leave in conditioner but the last time I went looking I couldnt find any of the brands I used to use so I had some VO5 conditioner put a little in a spray bottle with water and I just spray that on before drying it.

I also just bought a shampoo bar from a seller on Etsy but I havent tried it yet. Supposed to be good for curly and frizzy hair.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Been lurking here for awhile, but finally joined today. Came here from BYC.
I was using the cheap stuff from Trader Joe for years, and liked it well enough, but then read about using baking soda, and it has changed the way I wash my below waist length hair. I mix baking soda with about 3 times as much water in a recycled shampoo bottle - this needs thorough shaking before each use. I squeeze enough on my scalp to make it wet (just my scalp, not all my hair) and massage it in well with my fingertips. Leave it there for a few minutes while I wash the rest of me, and then rinse my hair. For short hair that might be enough; for my long hair I repeat the process, the second time scrunching my hair with the soda mixture in it, so it reaches all of it. And then I rinse with apple cider vinegar mixed with warm water (my mother used to do this when I was a little girl, but I got out of the habit), also leaving that to soak for a few minutes. (If one has time, and the proper climate, sitting in the sun to dry the hair after a vinegar rinse gives nice highlights over time). I've been doing this for about 2 months now, and my hair feels wonderful! I wash it about every 5 days or so. The downside is that I end up smelling very vinegary until my hair is dry (then the smell is gone), so if I need to go somewhere I skip the vinegar, and use a little of the conditioner that I used to use. And the whole set up isn't practical when we travel, but at home it works nicely. I have wavy hair that tends to tangle; I feel I have fewer tangles with the baking soda and vinegar. And the "flyaways" don't seem to be as noticeable. It works well, its cheaper, it avoids the not so nice ingredients that are in some shampoos - whats not to like? I've read that some people do a regular shampoo and conditioner treatment every few washes, but I don't feel the need in my case. I have only done the shampoo thing the couple of times we were on the road. I would recommend this to anyone - at least on a trial basis, to see if it works for you. Those with finer hair than mine might need to wash more often than I.
Maybe I should add that the vinegar should be rinsed out after a few minutes on the hair :lol: