Recycled Materials Boat Race (pics)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Our local public / city pool had their first annual recycled material boat race. My wife Emily did all the building (she wouldn't let me help). It used 3 boxes, 4 milk jugs, some packing air bags, a few soda bottles and a LOT of duct tape.

The boat was originally created to hold Emily and Alana, but we were able to get Alana's best friend to take the place of my wife.

Here are our two girls, April and Alana with their masterpiece:

2_boat1.jpg

Here is Alana (right) and her best friend Abby in the boat with the lifeguard at the ready:

2_boat3.jpg

Since the boat held up for the two girls, Emily decided to give it a try. Here is the boat doing its darnedest to stay afloat.

2_boat4.jpg

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
How cute are they!!:) How awesome is that!
I love that idea, its great when places sponsor projects like that. By the way, not everyone will get involved in projects with their kids and its teriffic that you guys do. I have found this out first hand at the schools and in town and have been a "substitute parent" at more than one of these events. There is always some child that wants to be involved but the parent isn't interested in it,so we partner up and do the project with whoever needs it.
Its looks like it was a fun day.
Have you seen the igloos made out of milk jugs? My daughter's preschool class built one this year. Its pretty cool.;):p

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's pretty cool! I've seen other contests like this before. They held some once I think that had the boats needed to be 100% cardboard. It was pretty fun watching them try to paddle along as the boats fell apart.

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What a fun project!

Was she trying to tell you something, not wanting you to help? ;)

I don't think your girls could take a bad picture, or your wife, either, come to think of it. Such a lovely family. :)

Thanks for sharing! :coolsun

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Tutter said:
I don't think your girls could take a bad picture, or your wife, either, come to think of it. Such a lovely family.
Thanks! As long as I'm not in them that is true! ;)