Recycled plastic into greenhouse

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
2 years ago hurricane Ike dropped a massive oak on our house. I was delighted to stand in line in the rain in front of Lowes waiting my turn to go in. I bought stylish blue tarps and heavy plastic to cover the roof after cutting the tree off to prevent further damage. So I've had this bunch of plastic in the garage.......

I have a garden in the front yard because the back yard doesn't get any sun. I have tomatoes almost 5 feet tall, loaded with tomatoes and of course winter is coming. I built a PVC frame (never did PVC before and had to hacksaw off my boo-boos, LOL) and my DH and I placed it over the tomatoes and covered it with the heavy plastic. I put a small electric heater (heats 150 square feet) on bricks at one end and ran a heavy duty extension cord to it. It froze last week and it is freezing tonight. Our tomatoes are nicely tucked in, all warm and cozy. And yes, we had vine ripened yummy tomatoes tonight with our supper.

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'd like to see that too. I've always wanted a greenhouse!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Baymule....I share in your fresh tomato enthusiasm!

These were taken a few weeks ago. The cherry tomato plant is now loaded, and we are just now getting larger 'maters from the other vine.

393751113.jpg

393751111.jpg

For the record, it is 28 degrees here right now with light snow. The temp in the greenhouse is still 48.8 degrees, soil temp is 53.6. NO auxiliary heat source, only the thermal mass!

Latest posts