Recycling a few items

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am going to paint an old mail box, cut a hole in the lid and grind it down. I am making a bird house. Make sure to gind the hole down so the little birds don't get hurt. This is a winter project.
I am also planning on making some toad houses out of old licenses plates.
Just a few things I found laying around and thought I could make something out of them.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
That bird house sounds too cute- would it be like the door on the mail box will be the bottom of the bird house so that it can be opened and cleaned out?

I use an old mail box as a little garden shed - a place where I keep a few hand tools out of the weather but near the garden where I can grab them fast. Just for that fast weed pull or something as I see it needs doing..........

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the birdhouse sounds great. I won't have any birdhouses I can't open a door and clean out....so the mailbox is great!!

toad house? I never heard of a toad house? LOL-LOL

License plates are great for a roof on a birdhouse also.

great to recycle stuff. we can make so much from some junk in the yard it is amazing.

I saw birdhouses for sale in the mountains that were made out of wild odds and ends and they were priced at like $25 each and flying out of that store....hmm...trash to treasure definitely! And they were all unique which made them a good sale!

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
That bird house sounds too cute- would it be like the door on the mail box will be the bottom of the bird house so that it can be opened and cleaned out?

I use an old mail box as a little garden shed - a place where I keep a few hand tools out of the weather but near the garden where I can grab them fast. Just for that fast weed pull or something as I see it needs doing..........
Never thought about the lid being the bottom of the bird house. But yeah that would work.
I am just going to put mine up like a regular mailbox at first. Then have it so I can open the lid to clean it out.
If I can find a few more I might try and make a condo for them.

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You could probably use small tubing to go around cut part of mailbox to insure no sharp edges. Think aquarium or iv tube split lengthwise and glued around edge.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's a great idea! And the birds will be grateful! :)
Please post a pic when its complete.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Love it! Hope you will post pics when you're done. I've made toad houses out of terra cotta pots with an opening. Never saw a toad in one but I liked them! We did have a toad that lived in a crack where side porch met the foundation. He was fun to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing how your toad house look and work!!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OHH I can't wait to see the bird house!! I wonder where I could get my hands on an old mailbox???? :/

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OH please post a picture when you have it done!

Such a neat idea!

Latest posts