recycling Christmas cards

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sometimes we would glue the cut out 'tags onto a paper doily to dress it up a bit.

An advent calendar counts down the days to Christmas. It usually has some kind of picture or scene or just a shape(tree,snowman, manger,etc). You open little doors to see a picture, pick out a chocolate, hang up a little ornament, put a little toy in a pocket, there are many different ways and types.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/t-Holiday-Seasonal-Decor-02/advent-calendars

This page shows many different types. They have them for chaunnakah?? also.

Monica

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just found this thread!

Kid's craft and fun way to teach basic sewing to very young children...

You can use any cards...however, holiday cards are fun to give to relitives etc.

Cut card in 1/2 and recycle the part that has the writing on it.

What you have left is the square or rectangualr picture part of the card.

For a beginner, hole punch holes all the way around the edge of the card about an inch apart. (For a little more advanced sewer, just pin prick the holes, but closer together.)

Teach them how to measure a piece of yarn and how to thread a big needle. I always used blunt metal needles but you can use plastic.

They can "stitch" all the way around the card and tie the rest of the yarn into a bow. You can teach them a regular stitch and/or a blanket stitch. It creats a nice handmade "frame". (Grandmas LOVED it!)

I taught kids age 3-6 for many, many years, this is a perfect craft for a 3-4 year old. My older kids were making dolls and quilts before they graduated to the first grade! You would be surprised how sewing improves handwriting and concentration skills!!

(Great Father's Day gift: a tie that your child hand-sewed buttons on....SO CUTE!!)

Latest posts