recycling clothes

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Wannabefree said:
I have been trying to figure out ways to make things with our older clothes. DD has outgrown about a dozen pair of jeans this last year alone. I'm thinking of making throws or trying some rag rugs. I'm not the best at sewing, so I have to get creative. :lol:
Can you sell them at a flea market or consignment shop?
No I don't think so. She hit a MAJOR growth spurt and went up 4 sizes this past year. I bought WalMart and other cheapies because I was NOT going to spend $50+ on jeans for her to last a whopping 2 months till she outgrew them. I got most of them on sale for around $5-8 and she got a good bit of wear out of them because I only bought 3 pair at a time too knowing she was growing so fast. Add to the fact that we were broke and couldn't afford more anyway.
She complained a bit, but sheesh I only have 2 pair I can wear :lol: Some of hers have holes even at that, so not worth trying to resell. I think a denim throw would be neat. :hu

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I re-purpose some things, but never re-sew

I can't sew on a button literally and sewing was never an interest of mine at all, so I never cared to learn.

but old t-shirts become rags, old jeans become shorts (I can work a pair of scissors), older type hooded heavy shirts I cut off arms and make into vests for the barn work. (None of this I wear in public, lol, just farm work)

rest goes to goodwill when used or landfill the final destiny :p

I can find such great deals on clothes at stores. So not being a sew type person, I can get what I want, when I want it lol

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I refurbish clothes all the time. Cheaper and easier for me than following a pattern and buying fabric. I usually end up adding stuff to the bottoms of things. I am very tall and a lot of things are not made for tall girls :p
I know you're close to my age. Remember in HS when bell bottoms were real popular and girls would sew patterned material on to the bottoms and make the bell even bigger.

I think that's cool the way the OP recycled like that.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How funny! I remember my mother taking a pair of pants that were more like slacks, opening the side seam and sewing in material to make bell bottoms. I absolutely hated those pants. Now I look back and wonder if that was during a desperation time and as a kid, I was totally clueless..and totally unappreciative of her time and effort. I was the youngest of three girls, and everything was hand me downs..hated that, too. Now, that's all I wear! :D Our boys know they better let Pa and Ma go through the donation pile first!

Those capri's made from t-shirts would look good on the skinny minnie's like you, Calendula! Cute idea. My husband and I are still wondering where our butts went. :lol: I'd probably scare the hens.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I took a whole lot of my hubby's old t-shirts and turned them into and rag rug that I crocheted. I used t's that couldn't be used for anything else and would otherwise have been landfill bound. Stained/holes/frayed.

I saved some for my son, who also sleeps in Daddy's old t's. I have more t's that I'm going to make into another rug. I'm saving old jeans for a blanket with matching pillow or maybe just another rug lol.
My daughter just took some of her old t's that still looked great and whipped up a bag for school, something small but cute enough.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh! I forgot! I've been making underwear for me from my hubbie's stained better tees and they are great. I cut out a tank top for me but haven't sewn it yet....no time for sewing lately. I often relax in front of the tv and sew for an hour in the evening....when I'm not in the kitchen doing food prep for the next day. I really like the undies. All cotton, and I wear them inside out so there are no scratchy seams. I just used an old pair that fits well as a pattern, making a pattern with a paper grocery bag. Not sexy, but very ss! :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I have been trying to figure out ways to make things with our older clothes. DD has outgrown about a dozen pair of jeans this last year alone. I'm thinking of making throws or trying some rag rugs. I'm not the best at sewing, so I have to get creative. :lol:
A neat idea I read about for old jean pockets was to cut them out of the no longer usable jeans - the more different kinds the better, for the design effect; maybe the loop from a pair of work pants too - and sew them onto a backing of some sort, so that you have a rectangle full of different pockets. Attach loops to the top, slip a dowel through, and hang it on the wall - particularly useful in a child's room, or a sewing room, where all those pockets can be put to good use for little things.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Wannabefree said:
A neat idea I read about for old jean pockets was to cut them out of the no longer usable jeans - the more different kinds the better, for the design effect; maybe the loop from a pair of work pants too - and sew them onto a backing of some sort, so that you have a rectangle full of different pockets. Attach loops to the top, slip a dowel through, and hang it on the wall - particularly useful in a child's room, or a sewing room, where all those pockets can be put to good use for little things.
OOooooo. What a good idea!