Recycling out of remodling your home!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, we are kind of remodeling, but not really. We live in a 14x70 trailer (if you haven't seen those pics, they are in my journal) and I hate how it is laid out! Well, today we started tearing down the wall in the "kitchen" that separates the dining room from the laundry room. My "kitchen" is a hallway down one side of the trailer between the two. I hate it.

So DH is tearing all that out...Laundry room is being moved into what used to be the master bathroom in our bedroom (we turned that into a huge walk in closet and it has our deep freezer in it,too).

I found pieces of wood trim that he cut out that are going to make nice roosts in my bantam coop! I am also snitching the small wine rack that was built in that wall as a frame for a nesting box for the bantam coop.

Oh and a piece of 30 year old panelling is going to be laid down as a dry place w/out bedding for their feed and waterers to sit on!

When we are done, I am hoping to have a nice big open area for my kitchen, with a small island in the middle where I can do my baking! rolling out dough, etc!

ETA: I posted this in the wrong section! I meant to post it in the recycling forum, reinbeau, would you please move this for me? Thank you!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
A new kitchen! that is exciting...you have to post pics when you are done! I always keep alot of scrap wood and stuff around for the coop as well, it comes in so handy doesn't it?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yes, not totally new, just minus a wall, and an island for me to roll out bread or other baking! Right now I have a gallery kitchen and I hate it! I can barely turn around in it, and I have been putting up with it for seven years almost!

I will post pics when it's all done!! House is waaaaay to cluttered and messy looking for me to post a pic now LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love open space floor plans. good move to get rid of the wall...it will make the space feel huge I am sure.

whew...alot of work for you today! better you than me..HA HA HA

My kitchen is L shapped and the wall between the kitchen and dining room needs to stay. I wish I could ditch it but it has a cabinet and stuff on it and I don't want to lose that storage. ....so staying that way. I constantly check the kitchen for a way to improve it without spending a ton of money....but I can't find a good solution to open it up...Ugh...just the way it is.....so enjoy that new open space you lucky gal!! :)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My friend has her island on locking casters so she can reposition it for different looks and traffic flows, which I think is a good idea.

I don't have an island since I am such a klutz I would be running into it constantly. :rolleyes:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
How exciting for you guys!

I have a big 'ol pile of siding that came off our house - I hope its not going to get ruined out in snow all winter. I have already used some, made nest box, and started to put it up on the inside of the coop to make it pretty :lol: I really want to use it on the outside of the coop.