Recycling tips and facts

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Very cool, ticks! Here's one fact I was shocked by:

* When you toss out one aluminum can you waste as much energy as if youd filled the same can half-full of gasoline and poured it into the ground.

I ditched soda for health and environmental reasons a couple years ago. If I had known this, I would have managed much sooner!

Ticks, I don't want to hijack this thread, but do you think this might be a place where we could give examples of how we reuse or recycle things? I bet this group has some amazing ideas!

edited for spelling, especially with dacjohns on this thread ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am three weeks in to giving up pop (soda--we call it pop her in Canada). However, we save all our cans and turn them in ourselves, since we have to bring our garbage to the depot ourselves anyways. If I am out and about,and see a pop can thrown out, I pick it up. haven't looked at the link yet, but going to do so now. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ticks said:
I found a website while doing school work. I also realized, if I didn't look hard enoguh that there is no Recycling forum other than trash to treasure?
http://www.oberlin.edu/recycle/facts.html
WOW---eye opener for sure!!

water consumption tripled like the first info said.....I thought why? and then realized that families own 2-3 or 4 vehicles and wash them......have tons of clothes that require alot of washing machines, pools need to be filled where most in the older times would swim in a nearby lake or creek...etc. etc.

very interesting. thanks for a good read!!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yeah--and don't forget swimming pools, watered lawns and golf courses. Plus, doesn't just about every thing grown or manufactured require water?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Yeah--and don't forget swimming pools, watered lawns and golf courses. Plus, doesn't just about every thing grown or manufactured require water?
Yea and nothing like seeing those stupid sprinklers going off in the rain.... someone using their automated sprinkler in a thunderstorm...

UGH