Red Hot Apples

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hubby brought home a free 50 lb. box of apples. I made apple sauce already and want to make cinnamon apples but my Ball Book recipe calls for corn syrup and I have none and town is 10 miles away. The apples were sweet enough to not need extra sugar in the apple sauce. Would it be safe to omit it? Could I just make a syrup with sugar if there is not enough liquid?

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Any one tried a light sugar syrup with the cinnamon candies? I found a recipe I made when my kids were small (now all in their 30s) but the sugar was 6 cups to make four pints. These apples are already pretty sweet and it is for me and DH and we are not sweet eaters. That old recipe is something my kids still remember with fondness. Can someone help me out? I still have 36 lbs. of apples to go. Any other ideas?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've never made/eaten red hot apples, but I am assuming that this is just applesauce with red hots in it? If so, and if you can your regular applesauce without sugar/sweetener, I can't see any reason why you would need to sweeten the red hot variety. I never sweeten my applesauce, as I like it plain; DH gets sugar added when I open the jar. So far as I know, but perhaps someone who knows better will correct me, applesauce does not need sugar to be safely canned.

When I have extra apples I like to dehydrate them - just peel (if you want), and slice them into a big bowl of water mixed with some lemon juice or vinegar, and then lay the slices out on the dryer trays.