Redoubling my penny pinching!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I went into work this morning. Come to find out a few people have been laid off. Fortunately I am ok for now. But I don't know what will happen over the next few months :fl

So I am looking to pinch even more pennies than ever before. I want to put as much of my paycheck in the bank as I possibly can. Here's the plan for now:

-Gonna give the homemade laundry soap a try.
-Cut meals with meat down to two or three a week (although we just received a nice gift of venison- I want to make it last for a few weeks)
-Revisit all insurance policies to see if I can get a better deal somewhere else.
-Looking for some ways to generate some side income. Kinda keeping my eye out for a new job, although I LOVE the one I've got.

Any other ideas are more than welcome

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Maybe, if you're getting a tax refund, you could file for it asap. Most info needed is on bank statements and payslips and with e-filing, you don't need to send paper work in most cases. Add it to you account for more interest.

If the government owes you a refund, then maybe lower your withholding by filing a new w4 with your employer.

Checking the insurance is a great idea.

Cooking Chinese is a great way to use less meat in a dish. Those folk really could make a little go a long way.

What are you most aggrevating expenses? Maybe that could help with coming up with better suggestions.

Away, I expect I will be hearing Lincoln scream for mercy soon.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't think we're getting a refund this year :( In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we owed a little this year. Probably not much though.

Our worst expenses are phone and electricity. Doesn't help that we just had a real doozie of an ice storm that trashed our yard and nearly froze us to death. I'm just dreading our utility bills for December.

We'll be doing all the yard work ourself. DH spent all afternoon yesterday and about two hours today with the chainsaw.

Lincoln will be screaming here for sure! The cool thing is that may kids are really helpful when it comes to trying to save money. They haven't complained about anything. They got practically nothing for Christmas but we still had a great time!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:fl Good luck!

We cut the amount of meat in any meal to 1/4 pound total for the two of us and add more rice, grains, noodles, and in season veggies. So we get 4 meals from a pound of meat these days. Sometimes every bit helps.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
A 1/4 of a pound of me! My kiddos would think I am starving them to death!! :lol: Thankfully we have two deer and all of our broiler chickens in the freezer for the year. My kids are meat eaters! They would let me cut out the pasta and bread before they would let me cut out the meat!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Phone and electricity- those are hard ones. You're probably doing a lot there already.
Once you have gone as basic as you can with phones, not much elese is doable there.

But electricity- do you have any general thoughts there? How about cooking with the wood from those down trees? A family bonfire cook out? Lots of campfire dishes are easy and great- campfire beans are the only time I like the darn things.

Of course if you live in freezing weather, then it would have to be a fireplace cookout.:rolleyes:

Re: a second job- how do you feel about an independent janitoritorial service for business? If you could find a business or two right near where you work, you might be able to avoid additional gas expenses. The nice thing about this kind of work is no people interface, if you get paid for three hours of service and can get it done in two, that's ok. Every single business, including government agencies has to clean their premises.

I hope that you are not in danger of a lay off but your attitude of planning ahead is great- if everthing turns out ok, you will have fund to enjoy. I will pray for that to happen.

Have you looked into earned income credits on your Tax return.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, I hope this is just a passing thing and you keep your job.

We are struggling with phone and electric, too. I haven't found a solution to the phone.

Have you cut down on disposable items? Napkins, paper towels, paper plates......... I save a bundle here. I believe we can go through 20 cloth napkins or more in a day. I guess we are messy eaters.LOL I have many rags and those are used for most jobs that we would have used paper towels. I still buy paper towels, but only when they are on sale at a super price. There are a couple of jobs that I still use them - buttermaking for one.
We don't use paper plates, accept for large picnics. Even big family gatherings, I bring out the regular plates and cups.

Also, a good way to stretch the food dollar is to think of more than one meal. A large roast can be stretched to maybe 3 meals. Same with a whole chicken simmered in a pot. Comfort foods at their best and during difficult times a comforting meal can give us a boost. A big plus cooking this way, you save some time.

Do you subscribe to newspapers? We cut those out. Not a huge savings, but it helps.

I'm sure you already know these things, just babbling here.

I hope everything works out for you.

pdsavage

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Instead of having long distance I use those phone cards from dollar genral.
To make meat last I take a little beef or chicken and either make home made noodle and turn the beef into beefy noodles and the chicken either chicken and noodles or chicken and dumplings even my picky eathers love it.
hillbillyhousewife.com is a great place to save on food ideas....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey poppycat

OUCH---some got laid off. UGH----I know the feeling and it is scary wondering if the job will remain. You said your job is safe right now---so get money in the bank if possible definitely. We all must keep trying to make the emergency fund happen!

electricity. do you heat with it? if yes, and it is bad weather, there is nothing much yoiu can do at this point....but turn off lights, and unplug stuff that sucks power. Do all you can. Lower the thermostat and put on sweaters etc.

I did the same as you. I checked all insurance, made deductibles higher to save money.

be harder on the grocery bill again...like all of us..LOL---write down what you truly need and only buy that.

Also be very cautious about "spending" money to save money right now. I get in that fix. This product X will save money in the end.....no, don't buy it.....time to use what you have and not spend.

you are a penny pincher and you will find ways to save more! there is always more....we just have to stop spending and keep it in our wallets any way we can.

It is hard. I know. Money only goes so far!

hang in there!!