Reducing expenses

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is what I mean....don't skimp on things that are important to you, skimp elsewhere! Life needs to have some enjoyment, too! :p Even if you flush it away after enjoying it! :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, and if you have a food processor, you can shred those squishy blocks more easily, especially if still slightly frosty. Or you can just slice them up and place them on the pizza.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do best by planning, monitoring my shelves, watching the fliers for sales and buying in bulk. One of the first things we invested in was a big freezer. (Our TV is an old one, purchased in the early 90's...some people might have replaced that first! LOL) I've got a year's supply of meat in mine right now and that is usually the most expensive item on the list, so that really helps. Not having to run to the store for small trips will help you hold on to more of your money (and gas money) by avoiding impulse buys.

Coupons can be a useful tool, particularly for household and health items such as toothpaste, medicines or cleaners. My grocerer sends me really good coupons all the time based on my purchase habits. I've gotten some really good ones for the meat department, produce and things we use all the time. The secret to coupons is to hold on to them until you see the item is on sale. My MIL taught me that. ;) Also, don't be tricked into using a coupon just to try an item--only cut coupons for items you actually need and use.

When gas was nearing $5 a gallon a while back, I cut down on my driving very strictly. I don't make trips out for little things, no matter how badly I thought I needed an item. I planned ahead for my shopping and did it on trips that I already had to be in town. No more hubby taking his car to be somewhere earlier than me--we ride together into town (25 min. drive) and wait on each other. Slowing down helps too. Don't indulge that lead-foot. Keeping it at 55mph really helps your gas milage.

It's amazing how many things you can cut out if you have to, to save money. $1.25 here or there for a convenience item or dining out regularly really add up fast.

Oh, and don't forget about shopping yardsales, Goodwill and consignment shops for clothing and household things. You save so much by buying second-hand. Being that there are so many Americans steeped in consumerism, you can find such nice stuff for next to nothing just because someone else had to have the newest, greatest, best! LOL

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I posted on a different thread, I put my plug-in stuff (laptop, lamp, cell phone charger) on a power strip and glued it to the endtable so it convenient for me to use.

I think I figured out a way to have the cable box, tv, stereo on a timer, and put the internet on a separate timer. That should save some electicity use also! I have find some extra timers now...

I'm planning on figuring out how long it takes for my cell phone to charge so I don't leave it plugged in too long. And charge it after 7 p.m. so it costs less. And charge it in my car rather on the house electricity.

We're on CFL's already except where they don't work (in the shed and garage). Oh - haven't changed the bathroom vanity lights over, we'll wait until they burn out.

My fiance WILL notice a change in electricity use, so that's something I can work on too. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
journey11 said:
The secret to coupons is to hold on to them until you see the item is on sale. My MIL taught me that. ;)
That is AWESOME! I need a coupon organizer. I save the (rare) good ones, but have a hard time with expirations. How do you keep track of them?

How do you keep track of your pantry?

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just have a multi-pocketed organizer thingy that is pretty small, fits in my purse. I sort them by date and rotate them every once in a while (closest dates in the front). I don't sort them by type because I really don't have all that many to flip through since I only keep the good ones. :p

I log my canning each year and see where I came out on what we used to see where I need to grow and can more or less of something. For my freezer, I keep it organized, rotate stock and I just write myself a note when I see I am getting low on something, like only one or two left. For dry goods and toiletry items I do the same. There's really very few things that I don't buy in bulk. I try to keep some money in my checkbook to take advantage of sales when they pop up, then I buy as much as I think I can store or reasonably use. The canning is really the only thing I track specifically. Everything else I just keep my eye on.

Good points on saving electricity too, Tortoise! I didn't think of that earlier, but my husband bought me two remote thingies that you can plug a powerstrip into with all your computer stuff or tv/vcr/lights/etc. and when I'm leaving the house or going to bed I just click the button on the remote to turn them all off so they don't even drain standby energy.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I s'pose I could start by putting those coupons IN my wallet.

And I do need to keep track of my pantry somehow. A list to start? Hang it on othe fridge and cross off when I use something? Add on when I put groceries away?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm enjoying your thread, too, Tortoise. Our issues are similar I think! I debated starting a new thread but I was looking for advice more about the transition from work to home and I think I've gotten some darn good advice.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I'm enjoying your thread, too, Tortoise. Our issues are similar I think! I debated starting a new thread but I was looking for advice more about the transition from work to home and I think I've gotten some darn good advice.
I made that transition about a year ago - well started in Nov, but I was still in school until Feb this year. It's hard for me to stay focused and motivated because I don't see what (if any?) impact it has on expenses.

I think (hope) you'll see big changes for the better as you put together all the little changes. :hugs

ETA: coupons sorted and added to wallet. All of TWO coupons. One for Calf Manna, and another for Lime-Away. (Not sure if I will use that one. Should I buy right before the expiration date if I haven't gotten it sooner? It's not going to spoil sitting. It's only a $0.50 coupon.