Regular or Wide Mouth Jars?

Ellie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The lids being cheaper for the regular jars is a pull. I only have wide mouth now but have never made jam... suppose I will need regular mouth for that, eh?

Ellie

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I can't think of any "need" for regular jars except that they do store closer together in the pint or half-pint size and the lids are cheaper. The wide mouth can always be used but their main advantage is that they pack more easily for things like peaches or apples or whole tomatoes.
Like almost everyone else, I have a large number of regulars because I bought most of mine at yard sales.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have both also because the are a hodge podge from sales & give aways & even thrift stores. I just ordered a case of the wide mouth 2 qt jars though for apple pie filling I will be canning in Nov. they should be okay in water bath canner though, never thought about them not fitting in my pressure canner. I have also got lids at sales(unopened boxes) to help save even more.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How many of you here recall seeing ATLAS canning jars?
BTW, used LG mouth last nite with my mother making tomato sauce - her choice.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
roosmom said:
How many of you here recall seeing ATLAS canning jars?
BTW, used LG mouth last nite with my mother making tomato sauce - her choice.
My Mom gifted me the family canning jars this year. I have not even looked through all the boxes yet, but just the ones I brought in included these brands (and I can tell some of even the common ones like Ball are really old!)
Kerr
Ball
Mason
Atlas
Presto

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Ha, the tomato sauce I put up the other day was in Atlas jars!

I have a bunch of *old* Ball jars, from the 20s and 30s, that I use for dried beans and pasta and such. The kind with the zinc rings and glass insert for the top. I just think they're neat :)

Pat

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i have both, the regular lid jars were given to me and i bought some when i didnt know better but now i when i buy some its 100% widemouth.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You know I have used all but the Presto jars. Never even heard of those Zenbirder.
Patandchickens :p.
The one Atlas we have was dug out of the backyard. You know, back in the old days when they used to just dump almost anywhere. Well we found about ten canning jars, about three feet down and 3 feet in (we are on a hill). Four of them are two quarters. Two of the two quarters are blue, one is clear and the other one is a pink color in the sunlight. I just tonight used the blue 2 quarter to put the apple pie filling in.

mgibbzzz

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have always used the reg. mouth for veggies and such. But, I can all my venison and many soups in wide because they are easier to clean and it is easier to get venison out.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Remember using Mayonnaise jars for canning? I don't you can even find a glass mayo jar anymore. My mom always used them and never had a mishap with cracking or exploding.

I still recycle the mayo lids, though, to place on opened canning jars. They make the best lids and last forever. Also double as tiny dishes for little animals, dabs of paint, etc.