Rendering Fats?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I had my neighboe save 2 gallons of venison fat for me. I want to try to render it and make soap with it.

Sooo... I know some people on here render their own fats. Who? And where do I start?!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Easiest is to grind it and put it in a heavy pot (cast iron Dutch oven is best but not necessary) with a lid. Add some water to prevent burning and let it simmer all day. Strain through a screen-type collander an simmer some more if needed. I chill it in a loaf pan or sheet pan and cut it up and freeze it for later use.

If you don't have a grinder, you can use a knife and cut it into the smallest pieces you can manage.

With a cast iron Dutch oven used in the oven, I don't use the water, just have the oven on low for a day or so. You could also use a cast iron skillet with a lid for this.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Grind fat? For real? :sick

I did some googling. I think I need to do stovetop. I read to cut clean fat into cubes, melt it until the "cracklings" settle, then strain through cheesecloth into jars?

How long is this supposed to take? Can I get it done in 4 hours? My fiance gave me the most awful look and was like "Please tell me you're not going to do this inside." *sigh*

If I'm going to make soap with it, do I want to pour it into jars? Should I pour it into a cheapie/one-use pan and pop it out later?

Sorry - so clueless right now.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, cutting it up works, but trust me when I say that it will melt REALLY fast if ground, and it stinks, so fast is good. Dutch oven is good, too, as it somewhat contains the smell. I've rendered a LOT of fat.

I use my regular baking pans to pour it into, and it pops right out once chilled. I cut it into pieces if necessary to fit it into ziplocs for the freezer (or fridge if you will be using it soon-ish.)

Four hours is not likely enough for cubed fat, but you will get some of it rendered....get that boyfriend used to your projects! Better yet, start it as soon as he leaves the house for work, and have something with cinnamon and ginger baking when he comes home to get rid of the icky smell. I tell my dh to get over it, he'll survive, and then what wonderful stuff I'll be making with it. He grumbles, but then later brags to people about the projects I've done, beaming with pride. Sheesh.

Cheesecloth will work, too, if using jars. I use a tea strainer that fits right on top of my jars for fat I am saving for cooking.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Altho I have never personally done this...I remember my grandmother always did hers outside. She said " this way the entire kitchen is not coated in grease and to keep the smell outside" Hmmm, I guess a lid would help tho. Make sure you let us know how it turns out.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I didn't grind mine, and it took a awhile and made the house stink!!! I strained it with a colander lined with an old bedsheet cloth (I used the bed sheet to make lots of kitchen stuff--obvioulsy it was cleaned) I used the stove top and my big stock pot. Wroked wel, but seriuosly suggest grinding it.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Crock pot! I put mine through the grinder so that it will render quicker, and toss it in the crockpot on LO; no water needed. I do mine outside, though the crockpot does seem to contain the smell quite well. However, I have only rendered pork and chicken fat; venison might be different/stronger in smell.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You basically render some fat every time you fry bacon. Same type of process. I prefer mine ground as well.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was just looking into this yesterday myself. I'm going to save all the fat off our deer (if we ever get any!) to render for suet. You can make soap and all kinds of cool things with it. Doesn't seem to be much to it. It's flammable, so make sure you use a big enough pot or whatever so it doesn't accidentally spill onto the burner. They say not to wander off too far when you're doing it, so you can keep an eye on things. I think I may try mine in the crockpot...