Renting a moving truck

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, okay, I really didn't want to do it but I might. I was telling a friend about the quote from the moving company, and she freaked and told me she could get her husband and friends to help move no problem. I know them, and trust them. Sooooooo. My question to all of you is, have you had a good or bad experience with a specific rental truck company? I'm talking Uhaul or Budget, etc. I've heard terrible things about Uhaul, but nothing about any others.

Uhaul price for 17' truck= $242.00

Budget price for 16' truck= $129.00

(Plus gas)

I will be happy to learn from you guys who have done this before. ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Uhaul = no bueno :( I took a hard to get scheduled day off of work, weeks ahead of time no less, and went up to pick up my reserved uhaul truck at the uhaul place. No truck. And nobody cared. I vowed to NEVER use uhaul ever again.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I've had good look with Penske. They've had trucks that were well maintained, clean, and the A/C and Stereo worked well (a nice bonus).

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was just reading reviews for Penske. It got uniformly good reviews over three different opinion websites. They also have a 22' truck, which would be perfect. A sort of middle ground. I had no idea it was so complicated! I just thought, make a reservation, go pick up truck, then drop it off. Apparently there is more to it than that. :gig
:pop

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Hubby and I used a penske truck to move from California to Nebraska.

In Colorado some place in the middle of nowhere a tire blew out. We had to drive on to the next town - out of our way to get cell phone service. (the tire was part of the pair on the rear left side) anyhoo - they sent a crew to fix the tire, and got us on our way - it did take them a while, we were seriously in the middle of nowhere.

We weren't charged a dime for that, and they were very helpful and professional in a situation that had us on our last nerve! (I was driving another car, with two little kids, two cats and two fish in a bucket! :th )

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
They size their trucks differently. For example (not neccesarily the real advertised size) a 17' UHaul includes the "attic" above the cab, a 17' other brand without an "attic" is the length of the cargo area. A 17' UHaul has less cargo space than the other truck. I think UHauls also have a less stiff suspension so they have a smoother ride but less payload. UHauls also sit closer to the ground and I have had them drag going in and out of gas stations and going around curves in town.

I would recommend going with something other than Uhaul if you have a lot to move.

I would also recommend the insurance. I messed up a tire real bad hitting a hidden obstacle in a parking lot and there was not charge to me because I had the insurance.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
U-Haul rented us a truck in January with no snow tires...it got stuck on every snowball in the driveway...drifted around corners...ahhh, it was terrible! And I am sure they ripped us off for pricing as well...

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got ripped off by U-haul too!!! $300 worth!! When we used it we put some kids stuff out of the yard in it and it got a some dirt in it. We swept it out when we were through and made sure it had gas and was in neat condition and we folded the furniture blankets neatly and returned it and they charged our card 2 weeks later nearly $300 for them to hose it out with a garden hose. I would understand that if it were nasty or something but it WAS NOT!!!! We called them griping and the woman said she found dirt in it and had to hose it out. I think they were full of it because we checked it before we brought it in and made sure we returned it in good clean condition. I will NEVER use them again!!!! $300 to hose it out with a garden hose!!!!!!!!! I think we were just ripped and there was nothing we could do about it!!!!! :he :smack :somad :rant :tongue Alright I will stop my rant now even thugh I could go on all day everytime I think about it!!!!