repainting textured ceiling? UPDATE -- done, but broke ceiling fan :/

S

sunsaver

I used to own a paint contracting business and we painted hundreds of ceilings. We use a 1 inch nap, sheep skin roller cover and Mesa flat white paint latex from Sherwin Williams. If you linger in one spot too long, or try to repaint a second coat in less than 48 hours, there is a good chance that the texture will start to come off, wrap around your roller, or drop on your head. you have to move quickly in rows like your mowing the yard. Don't dally or worry about coverage. Also dont push too hard. Most textures are made of gypsum and silica fibers which are nearly as bade as asbestos. Avoid breathing the dust.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I agree with sunsaver. I just did a textured ceiling a few months back for a friend. The nap, and type of paint, and technique is a must to do it right without it dropping on ya. I had no issues. We used the Sherwin Williams too, but cheaper rollers :hu It worked quite well. Like sun said...just don't push too hard on it. This was an older home with popcorn ceiling texture too.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Just thought I'd let y'all know, I DID IT! Yay me. I am woman, hear me paint! :p

The paint store guy said that if I used the right roller sleeve and oil-based stainkilling primer it would all turn out ok, and gave me some good advice (e.g. go side to side not towards and away from yourself, to get less paint spray in your face).

But it took EIGHT STINKIN' HOURS :/ That includes a hour's roundtrip drive back to the paint store for a third gallon of primer. Even the paint store guy was surprised it took THAT much.

It is done now, though, and looks really quite good. A coat of actual paint on it would improve it a little more, but I do not think that's high on my list of priorities right now.

The bad news is, I ruined the ceiling fan :( Just when everything appeared to be done and okay. Like the old joke about "it's not the thousand-foot fall that kills ya, it's the sudden stop at the end".

I had the fan off its mount and hanging by its tether while I painted. It is really heavy, and really hard to replace with all the wires appropriately inside but with the remote antenna appropriately *outside* and get it all aligned back onto its mounts and so forth. But I did it! Really I did! I was feeling quite chuffed about it. All I had to do was put the final locking screw in.

I touched it with the screwdriver, and *crash*.

Shattered the glass on the light, and bent two of the fanblade mounts really badly. It actually left a gash in the carpet where it hit.

Then of course I made the further mistake of calling my husband (semi in tears) to ADMIT that I'd broken the ceiling fan, and to apologize. Stupid me. His reaction was to be upset because of the cost of replacing it, and to insist I must be wrong when I told him it was beyond repair.

I could just STRANGLE him right now.

I suppose this means I probably have to install the replacement. After buying one. Sigh.

It's HIS house too, dammit.

Anyhow, sorry for venting, but lemme tell you, the ceiling looks GREAT and the room is EVER so much brighter looking now :)

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
:duc on the hubby thing, but congrats on the ceiling. I absolutely hate painting ceilings. I bought a ceiling fan at Value Village. Wroks great. And :tongue--that's for your hubby's sensitivity.(oh yeah, I wan't going to say anything. :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay Painter Pat! You go girl!

Check your local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store--they have all kinds of ceiling fans because of all those dumb HGTV shows that told people they aren't fashionable :)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry about the fan. Too bad you don't live closer. My husband picked up two fans for next to nothing, and we only needed one.d They look brand new. Someone decided they wanted to change them when they purchased the house.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry. It's another episode of 'Life Happens', huh. We've had more than just a few of those episodes here, too. Last big one was when DH cranked up the weed whacker and flying rocks shattered our one year old set of sliding patio doors. Both doors just cracked like crazy into a million pieces. I'm yelling from inside the house but of course he can't hear me and he's aiming for the windows next. I finally got his attention. Then I thought he was going to break his hand or the siding from slamming his fist into the wall a couple times. Now we can laugh about it, but it took a while...

Hang in there, sounds like you're still making a lot of progress in a short amount of time!