Repair Shops

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a bit peeved currently. We took our vehicle to the repair shop yesterday for a brake light switch replacement, didn't want to get in there with all that mess ourselves. Everything else except brake lights worked, only to have them call today wanting to tack on $300+ more telling us the turn signal switch was burned out and our signals suddenly didn't work. Any thoughts from DIY car repair folks?

EDIT: Signals still working but still want as much to replace signal switch as it is said to be stopping brakes from working.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The turn signal worked when you took it there, yes? I would be extremely suspicious, and let them know that. Aside from that, I have no idea what I would do. My hubby is great about researching stuff before committing to a repair shop. As he gets older, he's not able to do as much, mostly b/c a lot of stuff is inaccessible. Perhaps do a google search regarding switch replacements. Perhaps it IS a job you can do yourselves.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Im an hvac tech and i have friends that are mechanics. Sometimes stuff just breaks. Sometimes people accedently break stuff doing a repair. Idk. It comes down to trust, you either trust him or ya dont.

Personally if it were me id scratch up the 300 and shake my mechanics hand when i paid him.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Call & get a price to buy said switch. There is a book that details time to do repairs for almost ANY vehicle work. It's what mechanics go by to charge. They do buy parts wholesale & tack on $$, so it may be a little more than you buying. :idunno It might help set your mind at ease over price.

It is hard to take something in for a small repair and come home wth a bigger bill....sometimes we are not prepared -- esp if budget is really tight, like mine. :D

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am taking my truck in for a service alert - for the Drivers Assist System. Not sure what that is going to cost, but I asked them to check the brakes also. I had been having an issue with the brakes for about a year where it seems that I need to press down harder some times to get them to actually stop the truck. A couple days ago, I was sitting at a stop sign waiting on a break in the traffic on a divided highway when my truck started rolling forward. All I had to do was step down harder, but it startled me.

A couple weeks ago, I got a notice from Cheverolet that there was a recall on the year and model of truck that I have. It seems that the brake system has a vacuum pump that might overheat and cause you to need to press harder to make the brakes work. BUT, here is the kicker, unless there is a sensor code that went off, the brake work won't be considered RECALL work, and I will have to pay for it myself.

Cross your fingers for me that it is covered by recall...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Seems to me that you could argue that the sensor code is defective as well, since you are having the very issue that is described in the recall. I'd argue it all the way to the top.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So today's update- apparently the word got relayed through their receptionist wrong. Our signals still work. They replaced the brake light switch but said the fire from there relays through the turn signal switch apparently, and something in there is burning out the brake light switch/shorting it out? I don't know vehicles, but needless to say we brought the vehicle home for now with that price. Comparison time. BUT....really don't want to get in there ourselves and mess with turn signal assembly after realizing you have to disconnect the air bag to get to it- seems like asking for trouble.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BUT....really don't want to get in there ourselves and mess with turn signal assembly after realizing you have to disconnect the air bag to get to it- seems like asking for trouble.

If you don't know what to do it can be a real problem! Cars now are so complicated...and very space limited to work .

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Scary to mess around in there with the air bag.

Good luck with it all!