Reposting since I moved.....

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Love your new digs AND the view out your back door!! :bow

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love mountain views. Not sure I could ever live where its flat at this point in my life. Even Tucson AZ back in the late 70's when I was there, was surrounded by mountains.

Very pretty and love reading what you're doing on FB.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
How far are you from Denver and which direction? :gig

All I know is Denver is a 5 hour drive for us, going South. We sometimes use that airport if we're flying anywhere, either Denver or Omaha, both are 5 hours away.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thanx everyone, we like it too! The sunrise and sunset is gorgeous!

I guess I'm about 4 hours from Denver, due south on 25. Once you hit Pueblo go west and about half way to Alamosa is me :D

Tomorrow, after morning chores, we'll be going to Taos to play around and relax. Its an hour away (heck we're only 20 miles from the NM line) so it will be a nice drive through the pass. :cool:

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
good for you on your new home! I love the wide open spaces, big sky country.

Hey your going to my old stoppin grounds. I lived in Taos. I love it there. An hour is nothing in your neck of the woods. Everything worth anything is always at least an hour away no matter where you live around there.... but now Taos is all artsy fartsy, with big money.... a different place than it was 30 years ago when I was there,,, but still interesting.

Use to be you would find old Pueblo Indiand in the plaza all the time. Usually they would be drunk. I'd give them rides home. It has a very home grown local feeling then. Now most of the people there are foreigners, at least in the town area. Its gotten very expensive.

If you go to Taos, about 10 miles north is a little village called Arroyo Hondo and thats where I was living at one point. Hang a right to Arroyo Hondo as you head to Taos. There may be a sign that says Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. Its only a few miles off the main road. Maybe 2 or 3 miles, don't remember exactly but I walked it all the time. It s a great scenic stop! The gorge is deep and the river beautiful.

When you get to the bridge cross it and park. There should be a trail down to the river and right there is a hot springs! Bring a bathing suit, but hey, most people in those parts dont wear one.

I always remember being in those springs on a bright summers day looking up the gorge to see an eagle doing a circle dance with a raven from the north all the way to the south till out of site down the gorge

It really is spectacular!

Now talk about self sufficient... some people in that area have been into it for 200 years... an inherited lifestyle. I will always miss that place its so beautiful and the people around there are .... well.... very interesting. Thats when I lived in an underground house and my neighbors lived in Tepees

But hey! I just remembered -- one of the finest of all hot springs every is in the San Louis Valley in Colorado....HOT HOT HOT. I went in it in the middle of January, New Years Eve, 20 below zero. Don't remember how to get to it though, It wasn't hard to find. Ask around. It was covered with something like a barn back then

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Holy Moly!! Thats a Beautifull place! I just love the house....and the view. Makes me miss being in Alaska even more. :( I miss the mountains, standing tall every morning to greet me.
I can't waite to see how things go, I know it will be great!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
WOW! I'm definitely going to have to check out the gorge and hot springs!! :D

Taos was fun, and yes, expensive. I liked looking at everything, but told DH "No Touching" on much of it! He got himself a hat to wear, and I got some Pinon Coffee. After eating at 5 Star Burger, then ice cream later, we were good to go! :p

I'm thinking of starting a new journal on here, but will have to wait until we get a better internet setup. Skystream doesn't happen here, and we're probably going to get a TV/Internet bundle. Who knows.

Anyway, thanx again everyone for all the great posts....I'll try to keep things updated!