Researching Chickens and overwhelmed!!

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you all. I am really getting this planning together. Going to go over the design I have in my head with the Hubster. He will nod, say "Uh huh" and build what will work. He will listen to the things I am adamant about though. He's good that way. :D

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have mine on a regular city building lot and they do fine with the coop and run area. I do let them out sometimes to "clean" up the yard in the spring and fall (bug patrol) plus they get plenty of garden scraps, sprouted grain, oyster shell and boss. You are going to love your chickens.

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay. You all have been awesome with me and my infernal questions. I now have a breed to get (Buckeyes) great idea for a coop, (trying to draw one up on the CAD with Hubby's help) how to water and feed them, and now all I have to do is well,.....do it!! :D

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cheepo said:
can understand...
the amount of choices...when it comes to chickens is phenominal...
but chickens are easy...water food shelter..with roost and nesting box...
for me it was finding a winter hardy breed...that would lay through winter...
and out of 7 hens...i had 6 eggs a day.. all through last winter...which Breed or Cross did you find that was so productive? I would consider 6/7 to be very good anytime but to do that well over winter is GREAT! ~gd
unless you are planning a large flock...i wouldn't worry too much about space...
we have a 5x3 coop built underneath the balcony stairs and an original 4x6 space...
that got extended with an additional 4x8 space...mine very rairly get out in the yard...
but we consider we give them a spoiled life and they seem happy and healthy...
but my advise also would be to take your time and decide on your flock ...yes you can
integrate..new chickens to the flock...but it can jostle up and disrupt things...and take a while to settle...
and there can be potential health risks...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would say these are first year chickens and they do lay all winter the first year because they just came into lay. Or production layers.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I would say these are first year chickens and they do lay all winter the first year because they just came into lay. Or production layers.
Right on Bee! I forgot about the First year layers.Most of my ladies have been through their second molt and should be sent to Cambell's for noodle soup but I love the large eggs. They were production layers. I wonder if Tractor Supply will have chicks this year and what their policvy will be? I could use six but a full dozen would mean that some of the ladies would need to go to freezer camp. I had to get rid of my cock I am outside city limits but the people across the road [inside limits] kept calling because he would crow. ~gd

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Call them back when their dog barks.
I have to admit their dogS are quiet, In fact I wish the sneaky SOBs would bark but NO when they are our and about they think it is great fun to nip my ankles. Someday I am going to catch them in my backyard out of sight then I will give them the SSS treatment [I already have the holes dug] if anyone questions me I was just protecting my flock which is legal in NC. We have two different Animal Control Depts.The City will do nothing in the County [my side of the road] and the county treats the city the same way, no one wants to answer a call from the border. My cock was legal to have in the county but yes of course he could be heard across the road.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have Buckeyes. They are wonderful birds. Very friendly, cold hardy, and fairly productive layers. They do pretty well in the heat as well. They are the only chicken breed (that I know of!) That was produced by a woman, Nettie Metcalf, in Ohio. I think you made a great choice with the Buckeyes. There is a facebook group that is dedicated to the buckeyes as well, pretty active and friendly bunch, if you would like to join it's called American Buckeye Club. :)