Researching What People Want for Gun Safes

EverythingPrepared

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just doing a bit of researching and know this is a great group of people who can answer the questions.

What do you want/look for in a Gun Safe? What do you want it to do, have, etc? If you got to design it, what would you want it to be like, what features, benefits, warranties, etc?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
It must be large enough to hold all my firearms and a supply of ammunition. It MUST have a very good fire rating. It must be built in such a way as to be very difficult if not impossible for any unauthorized person to enter, but yet simple and quick to gain entry when you have the combination. These were my thoughts when I was in the market for my safe.

I would like to see someone come up with a rack of sorts, to hold my pistols inside the safe, in a neat and convenient manner.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
What SKR8PN said.

By the way, SKR8PN, my husband bought a simple plastic coated wire plate rack from Walmart to hold our handguns inside of the safe - it works well! I'll see if I can find a picture and post it for you.

We have three safes, two here (one upstairs, one down) and another at our Maine home.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
EverythingPrepared said:
Just doing a bit of researching and know this is a great group of people who can answer the questions.

What do you want/look for in a Gun Safe? What do you want it to do, have, etc? If you got to design it, what would you want it to be like, what features, benefits, warranties, etc?
Never owned a gun safe.
Never will.

We have 2 gun cabinets...decorative glass and nice furniture design.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You don't live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, Karen. We're not allowed to have our guns available unless they're on our bodies. It's for the children, ya know :rolleyes:

You don't have to tell me how free you are or how wrong things are here, I know, I know.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW are you saying you MUST have your guns locked up in a gun safe?

really?????

I never thought that would !!

My gun cabinets of course have locks to keep kids out and the bottom drawer for ammo is locked too.......but never did I hear you had to own a SAFE for your weapons.

WOW

Here in NC we can leave them propped up in a corner in the home :p or anywhere else we want.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep, locked in gun safes, with trigger locks on them. Seriously. I'm getting a small safe for under my bed, fingerprint operated, to keep my handgun in for protection - I don't carry usually, unless I'm going somewhere bad (Boston, Brockton) but for the most part they're tucked into the safe, rather useless :rolleyes:

Around here they will put you through the wringer legally if you defend yourself with your lawfully, licensed handgun. Someday hubby and I will live in a free state, but for now, we're here, in liberal la-la land.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Here in Canada, guns must be locked in a safe also, with trigger locks on them. Ammo must be stored separatey in another locked cabinet.

Hand guns are just too much of a pain to own here, so we sold ours. Too much hassle --you can only shoot one at a gun club, and you need a permit to have it in your car. You can only have it in your car if you are travelling to or from the shooting range.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, at least I can get an LTC and carry concealed. They'd like to take that away, but so far we've been able to fend that off. Freedom used to reign here.

Here's a picture of the rack I was talking about. Cost $3 and some change, holds eight handguns - as oppossed to the $20 gun-specific rack that only holds six.

gunsafe.jpg

My little Kel-Tec kinda slips down inside of it, but it holds the rest of them just fine :)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
reinbeau, that looks like a great safe. My DH has been looking around for one for the last 6 months, looking for a doal but guess we might have to pay full price. Can you tell me the brand of yours? approximate cost?