Resources right under your nose

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ever have something staring you in the face that could potentially benefit you and not realize it?

For me it was my cash register. Not just amount of cash in it but the type of cash. I get lots and lots of coins every single day. Stupid me never thought to check them.

Now I am not really looking for collectible coins, just ones with valuable metal content. I did manage to find a few silver dimes (1950's), some silver quarters, and there was a Kennedy half dollar in the mix (40% silver). Sure there were a lot of 95% copper pennies, but it we ever end up back on the gold standard (either officially or unofficially), those pennies might actually have value.

http://www.coinflation.com/

So from now on I will be checking ALL coins that we are given during the course of the day. Can't believe I waited so long to start this!!

Your turn!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep! I got one. Derelict and broken computers. I had this huge stash of 'worthless' computers and parts. Selling them and their parts helped fund a shiny new computer that is decadent on a level I would have never gotten for myself otherwise.

The other, less impressive but still pretty cool. Scrap wool from spinning. I buy raw full fleeces , so there are lots of little bits that aren't suitable for spinning. Did you know felters will pay for my scrap?? I didn't until a few weeks ago. Its a good thing I never throw anything away. I had this huge bag that I 'was someday' going to use for quilt batting. :D

Wifezilla, great discovery ! There is a huge market for coins. You could make a 'mint' with one good find!;) Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am a coin checker too
with metal detecting I learned that the 90% silver are what ya want lol

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I always check my coins. Quarters and dimes and half dollars b4 1964 are silver. One way you can check w/out looking at the date is to look at the side. Those that are older than that will not have a colored center. I also collect wheat pennies and bicentennial quarters.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have a TON of old coins all in an OLD OLD Mayonaisse jar.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I always check my coins. Quarters and dimes and half dollars b4 1964 are silver. One way you can check w/out looking at the date is to look at the side. Those that are older than that will not have a colored center. I also collect wheat pennies and bicentennial quarters.
Don't overlook 1965 through 1970 half dollars. They are only 40% silver, but with silver at $25 an ounce, they are worth about $3.70. :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Denim Deb said:
Don't overlook 1965 through 1970 half dollars. They are only 40% silver, but with silver at $25 an ounce, they are worth about $3.70. :D
I couldn't tell you when the last time was that I actually saw a half dollar. It's very rare to see them.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I collect half dollars....for the grandkids. I have a large container FULL of them! Every time I see one...I grab it and throw it in the container...then tuck it away. I have several "walking liberty" dollars as well. When I was a waitress several years back, I would get all the "cool coins" and save them. :p