Returning member

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you haven't run across this idea: another herbalist chanced upon the idea of using herb infused Jello to get children to accept herbs (which are often quite bitter). Of course, Jello is not the best thing in the world, but one could make a homemade version with gelatin and fruit juice and herbs (I don't know how honey would work with gelatin- has anyone every done this?)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If you haven't run across this idea: another herbalist chanced upon the idea of using herb infused Jello to get children to accept herbs (which are often quite bitter). Of course, Jello is not the best thing in the world, but one could make a homemade version with gelatin and fruit juice and herbs (I don't know how honey would work with gelatin- has anyone every done this?)
I make homemade "jello" with whole fruit and beef gelatin. My kids like it. :) I don't sweeten it, but kids who eat more "standard American diet" would probably need it sweetened. Or tell them it's sour patch jello.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really need whatever still exists of my apothecary. DH managed to locate some of my herbs. I put together whatever remedies helps people and according to seasons. So like right now I’m seeing a lot of goldenrod in full bloom. I need to collect at least 2 quarts of the flowers and put in mason jars so I can make a vinegar tincture to help people with seasonal allergies. I don’t have a bunch of little bottles anymore to put them in but I used to use some tiny wine bottles. I have been asked by a few people to get the bees out of their walls because a lot of people have extensive damage to their homes and the contractors won’t work on their houses if they getting stung so I have been trying to catch as many bees as possible and honeycomb with larvae so I can convince the whole colony the hive is a better place than the house but you really never know with bees but the stings help my pain and I sometimes need the honey for remedies or just allergies. Also the comb is a key ingredient for some of the salves I put together. I don’t have any of my prepared salves but I have made rosebud salve, capsaicin salve, healing salve, drawing salve...when I got into studying the herbs I was really pumped up to see that other things I was already involved with would help me deliver the herbs. Like I can make a medicinal wine to treat cold virus or pain. I can make a cigarette to treat bronchitis or to help someone break the habit. I wish I had known that years before so I could have helped Momma. I do this and that but my biggest deal is a pain cream I make that I call Magic Lotion and the Boron capsules I use to treat arthritis. The arthritis remedy literally changed my life. I am a nurse and I give medicine for a living. Not exactly trying to disrespect doctors or tell anyone not to listen to y’all doctors but I will not diagnose anyone with a disease but I might ask questions and see what someone tells me and go from there but consider this...your doctor stands to gain nothing from you getting well. I think it’s up to us to take care of our bodies and make them strong and healthy. I sure hope DH brings me a few of my books.
So many wonderful things :)

The cigarette too break the habit is a wonder

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That would be good if it worked, it sure beats sugar

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had bought a few molds and was planning on making a cannabis/ melatonin mix gummy using jello. I also planned on making my own ACV gummies. But I have made infusions that were later turned into Kool Aid. If it’s a forgiving tasting herb and I know the child can benefit from it, I might just cook a dish I know he will accept and then add it to the gravy. I pretty much never had issues with my own kids not accepting things that are good for them. I really don’t know how others get their kids to refuse yucky medicine or only accept chicken nuggets 🤷‍♀️ They really miss out on so much. You know what I did? I got my daughter interested in the herbs and she didn’t like Tussin cough medicine so she asked me if we can make a grape flavored cough syrup. I got her to put some mullein in a jar and pour glycerin over it like as if it would be vodka. I even explained we could use vodka or whiskey and she could take a TBLS a few times a day but we will make this which will be sweeter and her younger sister and cousins might like it. I got her to put a label on it and I wrote the date and what it was and her name. I then told her to put it by the coffee pot and every time she got coffee she could turn it over for two weeks. After we mashed all the glycerin out the herb we gave it to the chickens and mixed a pack of Kool Aid ...grape flavored and put in a glass bottle. She loved it. When I got custody of my niece she had a cough. She had a hard time taking pills so I gave her DD’s syrup. She asked me if she could make her own with cherry Kool Aid so I was able to teach something about herbs to her too.