Reusable diapers

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have read several articles on different reusable diapers. I am pregnant with my second child. I didn't use reusable diapers with the first one, but I am going to with this one. I wanted to see which ones you all thought was best. I have a Mothering magazine and it has lots of different brands and types. I would love all the help I can get with this. I will be a stay at home mother and will be able to wash them everyday if I need too. I would also like to know about how many I need a day.

I was also wondering how hard it was to make my own. I can sew. I just didn't know what material would work best and if anyone knew what pattern to use.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I wanted to cloth diaper for FOREVER, but didn't get around to it until now (my son is 2!)

I use AIO (All-in-one) cloth diapers. They go on just like a disposable. It's super easy.

You can make your own. I did, but I wasn't happy with how they turned out. I didn't want to buy the right kind of material for them online so I used a substitute.

I found patterns online, but I ended up making my own pattern from a huggies disposable diaper.

Good luck! It's worth it! My son loves the prints on the dipes and he says they "feel nice." Plus he can tell when they are wet, so I hope it speeds potty training along!

Different diapers fit different babies better. Most cloth-diapering mommas will say to spend as much money as 3 months of disposable diapers and get a few different kinds. Then you'll know what works for you (or can switch back to dispoiable after 3 months...)

I know the La Leche League forum has a group of cloth diapering mommas, and they allow sales of used dipes. You can saved some money that way!

I got mine cheap because they weren't really popular. The went on clearance and I got $220 worth of dipes for $70. Score! My son is wearing a pink diaper now. :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I know there are places on line, that have patterns for making your own cloth diapers.
I used cloth diapers when I had my daughter 28 years ago. On the rare occasion that I used disposables, she ended up with diaper rash, so I made a point of not using them at all. There are diaper liners and diaper covers of all sorts. At least there were when I was using them.
I rarely used bleach to wash them and if I did, I gave them a second rinse. I line dried the diapers. The sun kills most anything that might harm babies bottom. As I stated, my daughter got diaper rash when I used disposables.
Liners make it easy to remove the poo. You don't put the liner in the toilet, but the poo comes off it fairly easy, then you can throw the liner out. This liner also gives baby a little bit of a barrier from a wet diaper.

You might want a variety of diapers, because sometimes it is nice to have them dry quicker, or because the baby might be in a diaper longer (like at night). Also as the baby grows and you do things, you might find that certain ones work better for you at certain times.

ETA You might check your local second hand stores too. I often find diapers in good condition at our Goodwill store.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I would guess you would need 2x-3x as many cloth as you would disposable, simply because the disposables can absorb the urine and get it away from the skin, and cloth don't. They must be changed more often. This however, has its upside.....the child potty trains earlier and easier. They don't want that wet against their skin and are more apt to go to the potty. My mother used them on me and my sister and we were potty trained by 1 year old. All we had to say was "now" and she would plop us on the pot!

With so many brands out there, I think you want the most bang for your buck. Not so much the fancy prints, etc, but what will stand up to bleach, or any that are for sensitive skin. That being said I wouldn't really know how to make them, I do know there is cotton involved, LOL

Hope it helps!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I think cloth diapers are great. I have never used the fancy expensive ones, though -- the prefolds (rectangular, with twice the thickness in the center one-third) held together with Snappies (HUGE improvement on diaper pins!!) inside inexpensive plastic pants (IIRC, I used Bummis Super Whisper somethingorother?) worked just fine for me. It is cheaper to set yourself up with, and more useful once kids are out of diapers, than the fancy disposable-style all in ones. Well-broken-in flat cloth diapers make EXCELLENT soft rags for any number of purposes!

I would suggest getting 2 dozen, and 2 pr plastic pants if you are going the prefolds-with-plastic-pants route. Before anyone says anything, NO, I have never had any problems whatsoever from the plastic pants; for one thing the kind I use are sort of breathable, not like those old walmart type vinyl-y things, and also you are not supposed to leave the kid marinating in a wet diaper for a long time *anyhow* ;)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I use some cloth diapers at home. I love the BumGenius! Hands down!!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My mother's present to me when I had my first one was a year of diaper service pre-paid. By the end of the year I wouldn't have gone to disposible if you gave them to me! This was back in the dark ages 28 years ago. I used those diapers for everything! They make great bibs, drool rags, toy wipes, and cleaning tools. Now they are even easier- no pins, and you can get goretex covers for them! :D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I used cloth for my last baby (she's going to be 6 in a couple of weeks)
I first bought a few different kinds to see which I liked, I did like the fuzzibunz alot, they're pocket diapers, they wash and dry really fast.

I then moved on to making my own, I really enjoyed it and had a little webstore for a while.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I did buy some pocket diapers off of ebay a few months ago. I still need several more. I am going shopping this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to find some then, so I don't have to order them of the internet.

Thanks everyone. :D