reverse-sneezed very 'hot' ginger - update, thanks!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Oh man... I was sitting here eating a very hot-spicy piece of homemade candied ginger, when I had to sneeze suddenly and without thinking of anything other than not spraying pieces of ginger all over the keyboard, closed my mouth and nose so as to withhold the sneeze.

Well of course you know what happens when you do that, it all goes up the back of your nasal passages, above the soft palate and up towards the sinuses.

it was very very hot ginger.

I am just dyin' here... gargling does not help... any suggestions? My eyes are tearing so much I can hardly see to write this.

I mean, I know it's not life-threatening or anything and will go away on its own at some point but it's been five minutes now and if anything is worse than ever.

Ack!!

Any suggestions appreciated,

Pat, in pain (but with clean keyboard)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I know if you eat something too hot, sweet helps. So maybe a spoonful of honey???

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Rinse out with a saline sol'n? Like a netti pot? OUch!!
Don't know nuthin' bout no netti pots. Is this something that a person could improvise, if so, how, and what do I do?

It doesn't feel any worse now but it doesn't feel any better either. Although it has cleared my sinuses AMAZINGLY well (although no amount of sinus-clearing could be worth feeling like this :p)

Will go try gargling some honey water but I don't see how to get it up to where the irritation is. Rats.

Pat

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
saline nasal spray or a neti pot. If you don't have a neti pot, I guess you could use a little teapot? Maybe a eye dropper or children's medicine syringe? Heheh.. Sorry, I would think that if you're unfamiliar with a neti pot you shoudl just go with the spray. I use 1/2 tsp non iodized salt in 8 oz. of warm water. Make sure the salt is dissolved. GOOD LUCK! I am sure that if you can't find anything, your nose will run like crazy to flush it out eventually.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
miss_thenorth said:
Rinse out with a saline sol'n? Like a netti pot? OUch!!
Don't know nuthin' bout no netti pots. Is this something that a person could improvise, if so, how, and what do I do?

It doesn't feel any worse now but it doesn't feel any better either. Although it has cleared my sinuses AMAZINGLY well (although no amount of sinus-clearing could be worth feeling like this :p)

Will go try gargling some honey water but I don't see how to get it up to where the irritation is. Rats.

Pat
I use a squeeze bottle that I bought at Dollarama. I keep a dry sol'n mix in my pantry, and mix it when I need it with distilled water, but you could boil the water too. Once mixed, put the nozzle of the squirt jar in one nostril, tilt your head and pour into nostril until it comes out the other side, then do the other side. I use it when my sinuses act up. The sol'n is uniodized salt and a bit of baking soda. I googled the recipe.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I weenied out of trying the neti pot type thing though... considerably to my own surprise, I am just extremely weirded out by the idea of squirting water in one nostril til it comes out the other (if I am understanding that correctly). Which means I will have to do it sometime just to prove to myself that I can and that it's not so bad :p but was too wigged out by it to try yesterday.

The ginger effect wore off after an hour or two, btw, and unfortunately so did the sinus-decongestion that accompanied it (but having the burning pain stop was worth having my nose plug back up!)

But, next time I am at a dollar store I may have to get a little squirt bottle so I can try this. Just to broaden my experience. And be a little less of a wuss :p

Thanks very much,

Pat

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I was weirded out by the idea of a neti pot at first, but once you do it it's not that bad! It really helps w/ allergies and stuffiness.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I weenied out of trying the neti pot type thing though... considerably to my own surprise, I am just extremely weirded out by the idea of squirting water in one nostril til it comes out the other (if I am understanding that correctly). Which means I will have to do it sometime just to prove to myself that I can and that it's not so bad :p but was too wigged out by it to try yesterday.

The ginger effect wore off after an hour or two, btw, and unfortunately so did the sinus-decongestion that accompanied it (but having the burning pain stop was worth having my nose plug back up!)

But, next time I am at a dollar store I may have to get a little squirt bottle so I can try this. Just to broaden my experience. And be a little less of a wuss :p

Thanks very much,

Pat
The neti pot actually works on gravity.
You breath through your nose, bend over the sink and tip your head to the side. Insert the spout and allow it to just run through.
Far less invasive then squirting with a bottle.