Revolutionary-design hammer

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't as yet bought one of these, but I've been intrigued by the design ever since I found out about it. I probably will buy one. Every so often, an improvement in an old standby design does come out.

4407_estwing_weight-forward.jpg

They make two basic sizes: one for the everyday home-based hammer users (the whole family), and a larger one for someone who does framing or other serious construction. (That part corresponds to a long tradition in commercially made claw hammers.)

But just seeing an ad (such as on Amazon) and hearing about the tool, and even seeing them in a building supply, is not enough to convince me. So here is a link to a discussion amongst hammer users:
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?p=5694767#post5694767

BrandedX

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I totally could have used one of these at work these past couple of days. I've been hanging louan panels in a kitchen ceiling (bosses idea, not mine) with 1 1/2" panel nails (ran out of the 1" doing trim). My arm was about to fall off it seemed...

With a choked up grip and that short heavy head it would have made the job of catching those flimsy trailer trusses ALOT easier.

Like the one poster at the link said, it's best for confined or overhead nailing, but not all that great for common framing or everyday household usage because direct angle impacting will wear out your wrist tendons pretty quickly. The semi-straight claw would be useful to, almost to the point that I'd say you could probably replace it in the toolbag with with this guy; keep your standard framing hammer though.

Great share Joel! I'll be looking for one myself if I find one at the right price.

BrandedX

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As a little side note, I couldn't help but share the safety page of Estwing's site:

http://www.estwing.com/safety_alerts.php

I have a poor hammer that meets every one of their 'throw-away' marks that I use all the time! It's the one hammer not in my truck or handtool bag. it's the 'floater hammer' and as such endures weather, being used as an improv baby-sledge to drive fence-posts, cracking hickory nuts, busting concrete... You name it, that sucker's probably endured it with humility and consternation. It's got a crook-necked hatchet cousin that I couldn't part with for less than a considerable amount of cash or Bud Light. :gig