Revolutionary theory about stopping desertification

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A HUGE area of the land on our planet is becoming desert, which contributes to climate change, wars, etc. This man (a biologist and professional ecologist) has a new theory of desertification, and how to reverse it. Supported by compelling research, and the approach is being applied on five continents. He has project results and comparative photographs to show in this talk - takes about 20 minutes to watch.

Very hopeful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is fascinating. I wonder if it would work with chickens on a smaller level.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang it - it would take me an hour to watch a 20 minute youtube video.... being rural has it's disadvantages, especially in download time...

Condensed version?????

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Basically they run large herds of cattle on desert land and it brings the land back to life. They show before and after pictures which are amazing.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pretty interesting. Now I know what the 40K elephant slaughter was all about. And 25K sheep in one herd? Started the healing of the land, no mention of the health of the sheep? Agh.

Crazy thing is that it has taken years of research from all those brilliant scientists to figure out what some of the simplest farmers and natives knew years and years ago.

But! Like I said, pretty interesting and amazing how the desert lands are greening up.

I need more goats and more land. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Gardeners could have told them that!!!

There is such a disconnect between the folks who think they know everything, and those who actually do :lol: :p

Seriously, if people would just LISTEN to the "common people" sometimes, there would be far less problems in this world.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is a good message....but here's my question:

While they were running these huge herds over the dessert-type land - what were they eating? It looked pretty barren to me. :idunno

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Gardeners could have told them that!!!

There is such a disconnect between the folks who think they know everything, and those who actually do :lol: :p

Seriously, if people would just LISTEN to the "common people" sometimes, there would be far less problems in this world.
:thumbsup

frustratedearthmother, that's what I thought, too.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
It is a good message....but here's my question:

While they were running these huge herds over the dessert-type land - what were they eating? It looked pretty barren to me. :idunno
It said they were living off of what was there, and moving almost constantly. The idea is to get the herds to move, rather than constantly beating down the same grasses they are eating. So I figure they moved them through the areas they wanted to test a herd at a time.

Latest posts