Rice and Noodles.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
How long can rice and noodles be stored and is vacuum sealing them the best way to go?
10 years for sure :)

I love to vacuume seal those, but you don't have to if you use an oxygen absorber. I know of a fellar who's stored rice longer. Turned a little color (yellow) but still was good to eat.

Also, I pack stuff with bay leaves also..

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Fantastic! Thats a good long time. I always buy extra but every now and then skip shopping and dip into my stash.

I am going to vacuum some of it and store it down in the basement. :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
White rice, not brown. The brown will go bad fairly quickly - I think I have read, in about 6 months. Maybe longer, depending on storage method, but not much.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
ORChick said:
White rice, not brown. The brown will go bad fairly quickly - I think I have read, in about 6 months. Maybe longer, depending on storage method, but not much.
:( Oh bummer. I only use brown rice.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is a bummer. I have about 300 pounds of white rice stored that I will never use unless its an emergency.

I decided that I will cough it up to donations to the food bank when it comes about time to cycle it. You can store about 1 years worth of brown rice in the freezer.. and I keep the bag Im currently dipping into in the frige

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Whole wheat stores a looooong time, and you can make noodles with it fairly simply. All you need is a few eggs and you can have many pounds of pasta that is super yummy! Or just flour and water for a simple pasta.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Whole wheat stores a looooong time, and you can make noodles with it fairly simply. All you need is a few eggs and you can have many pounds of pasta that is super yummy! Or just flour and water for a simple pasta.
While this is true I find that I really like having dry pasta on hand for quick meals, and it stores for a long time if kept dry, and pest free. I make pasta (ravioli just the other evening, for example), but keep some stored as well.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Mackay said:
It is a bummer. I have about 300 pounds of white rice stored that I will never use unless its an emergency.

I decided that I will cough it up to donations to the food bank when it comes about time to cycle it. You can store about 1 years worth of brown rice in the freezer.. and I keep the bag Im currently dipping into in the frige
Whoa.. 300 pounds!

I cook rice in the winter for the chickens, it started when I ran out of scratch for them and thought rice would be a nice treat. I had a bag of white rice here for a while, used for making micro heating bags - but I got rid of the microwave so the rest went to the chickens, I think I actually might have some left.
(I have to hide it when MIL comes to visit, its the first thing she grabs if she can find it and she's making dinner :rolleyes: )

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:
This is a very important fact. Whole wheat berries were found in the pyramids in Egypt and still viable. The point is that there are two important items that store virtually indefinitely. One is wheat (as long as it isn't ground into flour) and the other is honey.

In another posting, MacKay asked about a ratio of beans to rice for storage and there were a number of vague answers. I would say that the answer depends on the caloric needs of those being fed. The combination of the two gives all the amino acids needed to be a "complete protein". This is still true.

Basically, a cup of rice and a half cup of beans plus an ounce of oil a day is enough calories with protein, fat and carbohydrate to live for an average adult...not really well but survive quite a while.