Rice Hot/Cold Packs,, Shoulder Wraps, and Bed Warmers

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You've probably seen them in stores or at a mall; even our Tractor Supply carries them! Fabric bags filled with rice, flax or beans that can be chilled or microwaved for pain relief. However, the ones in the stores are expensive, when you think of how inexpensively they can be made. I use about 5 - 6 cups of plain white rice for each pack. Do not use instant rice.

The main ingredient, rice, has recently gone up in price; but it is still more economical to make them yourself. I have been making bed warmers for presents for years. When heated, they are great for warming up a cold bed on cold night, and great for easing aching muscles. They are multi-purpose: hot/cold packs, shoulder wraps, and bed warmers, and can also be made any size you want. There are a couple different ways they can be made.

The most inexpensively and quickest pack to make
-Fill a men's tube sock with rice. If desired, add dried herbs or a few drops of essential oil. Sew or tie it shut.

-Make a fabric cover that is just a tad larger than the sock. This is a good way to use up fabric scraps. For the fabric cover closure, you can use velcro or sew it shut. If you use velcro, the cover can be removed and washed if it gets dirty.

-You can also put the filled sock into a pillow case, cut off the excess and sew it shut or tie the excess material into a knot. Do not use any metal for closures.

-For heat pack, microwave for 3 to 5 minutes. Test for temperature before using. Use for aches or bed warmer. Place heated pack under sheets for 10 to 15 minutes before bedtime for warmed sheets.

-For a cold pack, store in the freezer in a ziplock bag until needed.

Segmented Rice Pack
37" x 10" piece of fabric
6 cups rice

This pack has segments of rice, so the rice doesn't shift as much, and produces a 3' x 4 1/2" tube.

-Fold fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together, and sew along the bottom and length using 1/2" seams.

-Turn tube right side out. Measure and mark, from bottom seam, every 6" along the length, ending a 1/2" from end.

-Pour 1 cup of rice into tube and sew across width at the first 6" mark, enclosing rice in a 6" x 4 1/2" rectangle.

-Repeat for remaining 5 cups of rice. Turn in 1/2" from end, and sew very near the edge to close tube.

-For a heat pack, microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, until hot.

-For a cold pack, store in the freezer in a ziplock bag until needed.

Shoulder Comforter - Bed Warmer
Rice or flax seed
Lavender seed
Lavender essential oil or fragrance
Soft flannel, fleece, or cotton material

-Cut and sew a U shape thats about 12 to 14 inches long by 4 1/2 inches wide.

-Mix mostly rice or flax seed, with a small amount of lavender seed, with a few drops of fragrance, or essential oil.

-Sew U shape, leaving one end open. Add flax seed mix till pack is about 1 1/4 inches thick. Hand sew the end.

-Microwave for about 2 - 3 minutes. Test for temperature. Set on your shoulder, sit down and relax.

Our daughter used these warmed slightly when our granddaughter complained of earaches when she was younger. Place the pack on the bed and have the child place the hurting side against the warmth.

These make great additions to a Get Well Soon gift basket. With the rice pack, add homemade soup in a jar, crackers, some nice music, a good book, some tissues, eucalyptus oil or vapo-rub, throat lozenges, maybe a fleecy throw.... whatever you want.

I confess to heating these for 6 - 7 minutes when using as bed warmers, since they won't be touching any skin until they have had a chance to cool down a bit.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks this will be a great gift idea for inlaws for Christmas! Plus I could make some bedwarmers for the kids too. I have tons of remenant fabric that this would work for.

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This is exactly what I want to add to my baskets.

I know I get carried away with my millions of questions on everyones Journals! I love this forum so much, but I definitely need a firm hand of guidance to the right thread or topic! I have a touch of a memory/brain issue, I even forget which forum I'm on! He He

Thank you!! Tina/tfpets

I have lots of fabric scraps! Actually, lots of whole yardage! And lots of Flannel! Do you have any suggestions for the Flannel? I was thinking of P.J.s for the boys this year - and I have a pattern....but what about for other people? Anything Neutral/non-offensive for people that I could make out of Flannel?

Tina

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
tfpets said:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This is exactly what I want to add to my baskets.

I know I get carried away with my millions of questions on everyones Journals! I love this forum so much, but I definitely need a firm hand of guidance to the right thread or topic! I have a touch of a memory/brain issue, I even forget which forum I'm on! He He

Thank you!! Tina/tfpets

I have lots of fabric scraps! Actually, lots of whole yardage! And lots of Flannel! Do you have any suggestions for the Flannel? I was thinking of P.J.s for the boys this year - and I have a pattern....but what about for other people? Anything Neutral/non-offensive for people that I could make out of Flannel?

Tina
Tina, I love to use flannel for quilt backing. Makes the quilt especially cozy feeling on a cold night. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
are they washable?
just wondering.

I bought a rice bag for Tony when his neck was hurt. He then preceded to rub on muscle creams and "smelly" stuff....P U---well he made the rice bag smell of course.

I tossed it in the garbage and never had another one since........but right now, this minute, I am thinking, could I have washed that thing??????and not thrown it out???

duh.

thanks if anyone knows.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
are they washable?
just wondering.

I bought a rice bag for Tony when his neck was hurt. He then preceded to rub on muscle creams and "smelly" stuff....P U---well he made the rice bag smell of course.

I tossed it in the garbage and never had another one since........but right now, this minute, I am thinking, could I have washed that thing??????and not thrown it out???

duh.

thanks if anyone knows.
Karen,

You could always make covers for them that come off and can go in the wash.

Susan

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohhh thank you thank you thank you!!! I'm soooo glad you posted this.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
are they washable? just wondering.
I bought a rice bag for Tony when his neck was hurt. He then preceded to rub on muscle creams and "smelly" stuff....P U---well he made the rice bag smell of course. I tossed it in the garbage and never had another one since........but right now, this minute, I am thinking, could I have washed that thing??????and not thrown it out??? duh. thanks if anyone knows.
FC, I don't think you'd want to wash the entire pack. What you could have done was try to open the seam to see if the contents were loose or inside another bag. But you probably did the right thing if the bag itself had absorbed the odors of the creams.

If you make one and use velcro to close the last seam, the cover can be gently washed and dried before re-use.

The tube sock inside the pillow case with the pillow case tied shut works best, because you can just untie the pillow case and replace it with another while the dirty one is being washed. I like using the pillow cases because they match the bed linens. I wouldn't use them for gift packs, unless the excess material was cut off and the seam sewn shut or use the velcro to shut the last seam.

A trick I learned was to heat the packs a few minutes longer and then cover them with a small towel. That way the cream or goop got on the towel, not the pack. Naturally, I learned this the hard way... :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks for the great info

yup, if he only wrapped a small hand towel around it that could have absorbed the cream stink! :)
I will be making one of these now. cool!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I plan on buying a BIG bag of white rice when I go to Walmart this week & make a bunch of these for Christmas gifts this yr. My mom can use one as a foot warmer(her feet are always cold). I will make mine with the removable covers too(good thing I got a lot of velcro from mil's stash).