Rice is nice

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I purchased, on sale, two boxes of rice flour ,as I do not know the shelf life I need some ideas on how to use it. Thank you in advance.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Throw it in the freezer to keep it fresh long term, I just bring it up to room temp (amount needed only) before using in a recipe.
Before I make any recipe suggestions I just wanted to ask if you have a need for the gluten free flours or just bought to try? The reason I ask is GF breads taste nothing like their wheat counterparts recipe wise and I find that rice flour gives a very distinct flavor to breads etc. We buy the brown rice flour to make substitutions for our allergic child but most of us do not like as much as the child who that's all can have.

*eta what type of flour did you buy? There is white, brown, sweet rice flours etc. That will make a difference to what recipes you may use them in.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Koda Farms Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour 2 pk 16 oz each Blue Star Brand. I actually bought it to put in pantry as price was good and items can be difficult to obtain here on the island. I love to try new inexpensive ingredients in recipes.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use it occasionally in GF recipes, but in general Sweet rice flour is used in desserts of asian cuisine. I have not made these due to egg/dairy ingredients but thought I would pass them to you and see how they work out for you. They had high reviews listed for them.
Bibingka courtesy of Recipezaar
Ingredients

* 16 ounces mochiko sweet rice flour (1 box)
* 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
* 2 cups sugar
* 4 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 8 ounces sour cream
* 14 ounces coconut milk (1 can)
* 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter or spray a 9 x 13 glass dish.
2.Cream the butter, sugar and eggs in a bowl.
3.Add remaining ingredients and blend well.
4.Pour into glass dish and bake for 40-50 minutes.
5.Edges should have a nice light brown color while the middle is a nice cream color. Eat hot or cold.
6.(Optional) I like to add the shredded coconut to the batter. For the last 15 minutes of baking, I also like to take some of the shredded coconut and sprinkle it to the top of the cake to toast the coconut. Very delicious!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sweet Rice-Flour and Coconut Cake

Gourmet | May 2005

Adapted from The Food of Paradise by Rachel Laudan

yield: Makes 24 squares

active time: 15 min

total time: 3 3/4 hr (includes cooling)
Butter Mochi

This chewy snack cake gets its distinctive gelatinous texture from mochiko, a sweet rice flour that's commonly used in Hawaii. Coconut milk and butter add rich, creamy flavor.
hide
Ingredients

* 3 cups mochiko* (sweet rice flour; 1 lb)
* 2 1/2 cups sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 (14-oz) cans unsweetened coconut milk (not low-fat)
* 5 large eggs
* 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
* 1 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350F.

Whisk together mochiko, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together coconut milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla in another bowl. Add coconut mixture to flour mixture, whisking until batter is combined.

Pour batter into an ungreased 13- by 9-inch baking pan, smoothing top, and bake until top is golden and cake begins to pull away from sides of pan, about 1 1/2 hours. Cool cake completely in pan on a rack, about 2 hours. Cut mochi into 24 squares before serving.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thank you Sufficent. I even went on the farm site no recipes for the rice . Iwill see if I can remember to put coconut milk on next weeks list and give it a go!