Ridgid pipe wrenches are high $$$ so i..

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Dad was a building contractor. And, his tools often took a hike into some one else's tool box. Not deliberate, but when everyone is scrambling to clean up at the end of the day, stuff gets misplaced. So, he bought a can of flourescent purple spray paint. Every tool he owned had a stripe of purple around the handle. No mistaking that!!!

I keep saying that... one of these days, I'm gonna so label my garden tools. It will make them so much easier to find when I'm searching the yard... "Now... where did that rake go????"

I'm always losing my soil knives and clippers around the yard. I should do that.

My dad did the same thing when he worked construction. He also replaced all the cords with twist lock ends, so people couldn't easily use his tools

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I once spent an entire afternoon looking for a very expensive green stone (faceted moldavite) that I dropped in the grass at a gem show. If it had been a red or yellow stone it would have been easy to spot.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some power tools now are bluetooth and gps enabled. Can track your expensive tools down.
I love rigid tools. All i buy when possible

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good pipe wrenches are expensive. Working at a plumbing/hvac shop i needed some. So i kept my eyes open and scratched up some used ones over the coarse of a couple weeks. Cleaned them up and marked them (everyone uses ridgid pipe wrenches) and for the price of one i have 4! The teeth are sharp, they bite good and they are smooth as silk.

Got two 18s amd two 24s for less than one new 24. Cant beat that.

View attachment 12093
My Dad has a set. It's in the old toolbox still ever since he passed away. I dont intend to dig the old toolbox... Maybe not just yet.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Dad has a set. It's in the old toolbox still ever since he passed away. I dont intend to dig the old toolbox... Maybe not just yet.
Lucky you to have your Dad's tools! I have a few of my Dad's tools and I love having them in my hand. My Mom got rid of a lot of his stuff before I realized it, but I got what I could. Digging in his tool box will bring good memories, sure, it will give your heart a twist, but the good memories will overcome the loss...…. with time. When you are ready, his tools will be a comfort to you every time you use them.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also have some of my Dad's old tools. A scythe with both bush and grass blades, his old transit. There are other tools that I will eventually move to my home as well. He's 94 y.o. But, by far, the most important things he has passed on to me: His can do attitude and problem solving abilities, his love of animals and land management, and his love of God.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husband did alot of remodeling with his step-father. They did alot of work around the house and basically re-wired the whole place. When the step-father passed, my husband was told that he needed to share the tools with his brother-in-law, because b-i-l didn't have any tools.
Well, b-i-l never used any tools either. He is a very lazy man. Excuse for not doing anything was #1) don't have tools, #2) don't know how to use them. But he never bothered to get his butt up off the couch and help the guys down in the basement pulling wire and learn how to do that stuff. They did alot of plumbing, wiring, carpentry, ... B-I-L got a box of tools. It has been 20 years since step-father passed and those tools are still sitting in the box on the porch - I saw them there at Christmas.