Rigo Jansci

The Cake:
Butter
6 eggs, separated
Dash of salt
6 Tablespoons vanilla sugar
3 Tablespoons sifted cocoa
4 Tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour

Butter a 15 1/2 inch jelly roll pan and line the bottom with waxed paper. Butter the waxed paper too. Preheat the oven to 400F.

Beat the egg whites with a dash of salt until frothy, continue beating until they are stiff. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar, using an electric mixer, until the mixture is light yellow and very thick. Sift the cocoa on top of the egg yolk mixture and fold it in. Stir in a heaping Tablespoon of egg whites to lighten the batter, then sift the flour on top and fold in. Lastly, carefully fold in the rest of the egg whites. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out evenly.

Put it in the oven and bake until done, about 12 minutes: the cake should spring back when pressed with the finger. Invert the pan on a cake rack and remove the cake. Quickly tear off the waxed paper from the bottom. Let cake cool thoroughly before filling it.

The Chocolate Whipped Cream Filling:
4 Tablespoons sifted confectioners sugar
4 Tablespoons sifted cocoa
2 cup heavy cream

Sift the sugar and cocoa together. With everything ice cold-the cream, bowl and beaters- beat the cream until it starts to thicken. Sift in the sugar and cocoa mixture, beating all the while, and continue beating until the cream is very thick.

Cut the cake in half to make two layers 10 x 7 1/2 inches, and pile the chocolate whipped cream on ONE of them. Level it off on top, then refrigerate immediately. Set the other layer aside.

The Chocolate Glaze:
4 oz semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons water

Heat the chocolate, sugar and water over very low heat until all is melted and looks very smooth and shiny. Remove from heat and beat in the butter. Spread this topping on the second layer and let it harden. When the topping has set, cut the layer into 12 2 1/2 inch squares. Remove the first layer from the refrigerator and set the squares on top of the whipped cream. Put the cake back into the refrigerator immediately. When you are ready to serve the cake, cut it all the way through using the squares as guidelines.

NOTE: if you try to cut the top layer of the cake after the cake is put together, the layers will squish together and the cream will ooze out. May be served with a sprig of mint on the plate (my touch, not original to the family recipe) and is excellent with hot coffee or cold milk. VERY RICH!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:celebrate
I have been craving something like this! I'm going to have to make it soon I think.