Roasted Garlic

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Our local store has garlic bulbs 6/$1. I am thinking about roasting a bunch and then pressure canning them in half pints. Has anyone else done this, recipes, hints? We eat a lot of garlic as is, and I am always looking for more ways to enjoy it. I figure if DH and I both have strong garlic breath, no one else would be tempted to even flirt with either of us!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love roasted garlic, such great flavor. I have never canned it before. But they sell roasted peppers etc in the stores. If there's a will there's a way. :thumbsup

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For whatever reason, jars of garlic in stores are a recurrant source of recalls for botulism. You would probably want to locate a fairly up to date and conservative-sounding recipe if you want to can it.

Roasted garlic freezes real well.

I have ordered a booklet on making garlic powder, which would be another way to put up your garlic, but having not recieved it yet I can't actually give any suggestions on how it works <g>

Good luck, enjoy your garlic breath :),

Pat

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
For whatever reason, jars of garlic in stores are a recurrant source of recalls for botulism.
Pat
That is really a good bit of information Pat! I will research it thoroughly. In particular, we are at altitude, so I really need to go overboard on canning time.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pickled garlic is most excellent. par boil it...just a few seconds, in and out, then pickle.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
Our local store has garlic bulbs 6/$1. I am thinking about roasting a bunch and then pressure canning them in half pints. Has anyone else done this, recipes, hints? We eat a lot of garlic as is, and I am always looking for more ways to enjoy it. I figure if DH and I both have strong garlic breath, no one else would be tempted to even flirt with either of us!
I just bought a huge bunch of garlic for a great price too, and just rosted 4 heads of it. I usually only do a bit at a time--we eat it too fast here.