1 large red pepper, cut into 1/2-in. chunks
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-in. chunks
1/4 cup Italian dressing
2-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded Italian Three Cheese Blend cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Spread vegetables in 15x10x1-in. pan. Drizzle with dressing and toss to evenly coat vegetables. Bake 40-45 min. at 375* or until vegetables are tender, stirring after 20 min.

Add 1/2 cup broth and 1-1/2 cups vegetables to blender and blend until smooth. Pour into large saucepan. Add remaining broth and vegetables, beans, and black pepper. Bring to boil on high, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally.

This soup is really good. The things I added were:

Chopped broccoli, chopped cauliflower, and 2 smallish golden potatoes, along with about 1/2 lb. of smoked sausage. (Yes, I know this no longer makes it just vegetable soup.)

The soup was not only very tasty, but was a hearty enough meal for a 230 lb. man who does a lot of physical labor.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Holy cow, that sounds yummy! But those veggies would never make it from the oven to the soup pot in my house!!! :p Roasted veggies are sooooo good!

Have you tried them with herbed chicken fat yet? Amazing. I just throw the same herbs that I would to make Italian dressing into some leftover chicken fat and toss the veggies with that....oregano, basil, garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper....When I have a lot of chicken fat rendered, I will make up a bunch of half-cups of this mix and throw it into the freezer for later. I was looking for ways to use up chicken fat when I started making catfood and this is my absolute favorite.... Yum!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've never really roasted veggies before - bet you I will now. I have some chicken (and turkey) broth frozen that would have been really tasty, but this recipe was supposed to be good for diabetics, so was low fat, low sodium, (before I added the potatoes and smoked sausage).

Hubby said he'd eat it again in a heartbeat - and my dog loved it (what little bit was left.) It didn't call for onions and I didn't put any in, so I could feed it to the dog without fear.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
anything roasted and carmalized is delish! :)
yummo

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We will occasionally eat huge plates of roasted veggies for supper, cut into french-fry size pieces and roasted at 450 F for up to an hour. I put the sturdier veggies in first, and add others according to the time they need, ending with the more delicate veggies in the last 5-10 minutes (broccoli florets, sugar snap peas, asparagus, etc). We start with carrots and rutabaga, add yams 20 minutes later, a few minutes later it is pepper strips and mushrooms, then the above veggies. Whatever I have.

String beans get tough. Parsnips and turnips are good. Can't think of what else we've roasted right now, but we fill our large roasting pan and cook plenty for the dogs, too.

Oh, whole onions cut into quarters or eighths, depending on the size. Whole garlic cloves with the skin on, too.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I agree with FarmerChick. Roasted and caramelized makes for delicious food.

Latest posts